Next upgrade from a Biocube

Tig_Tech

Since getting my first reef biocube 29 setup and running for 3 months, I have already been itching to get something bigger. How big of an aquarium should I start looking into getting without it being overwhelming? Just wanting to hear your thoughts.

Here's my biocube just for the hell of it from my camera phone.
2py73fs.jpg

Last edited:
I would think a 120 would be really nice. Id just hate to get it and then have feeling of wanting something even bigger to creep up on me.

I started with a 72, which for me was a good sweet spot. It's big enough for a lot of different fish without being too much of an investment (both time and money). Since it's 4' long, the only thing bigger that gets different fish, is big.

That being said, why do you want something bigger than your 29 biocube? Do you just want a bigger number? Do you want to do more water changes? Are there specific fish that you want that you can't have?

I would consider a couple things, and you can decide which factors to consider heavily...

1. Cost - larger tanks cost exponentially more to set up than nanos - tank cost, lighting, bigger water changes, more electricity, more hardware, etc. How much money do you have to play with?

2. Space - where would the larger tank live?

3. Maintenance - larger tanks take a lot more work to keep clean, and much larger water changes. Do you have a dedicated water change station and the time to keep it pristine?

As a general rule, a 75 gallon is a great size "large" tank with maintenance and cost that isn't overwhelming (at least in my book). If you own your own home and have a dedicated area for water and maintenance, then look larger.

If it's a question between a 90 or 120, I would go with the 120. I like my 90 a lot but wish I had the extra 6" of depth for aquascaping.

I started with a 14 biocube. I ran out of room quick. I then started looking at 40 breeders and thought I settled on a 75 gal. I then realized I wasn't kidding anyone but myself and broke down and got the tank I really wanted....100 gallon custom rimless, LOL!

If you want to stay smallish, a 40 breeder is hard to beat. A 75 is a great larger tank. After that the sky is the limit. I personally like the 120 and 125, but those are getting kind of big. It all boils down to personal choice, space and budget. Good luck!

Get something reef ready and with a sump. The sump will give you more options in the future. But I would get at least a 90 as it will also open up your options as to what livestock. That said I have had as much fun with my 30G and 80G as much and even more than my 125G. Free space and wallet size will end up ruling. Take your time and plan it out. Have fun and good luck. And be warned tank building is an addiction save some time for the critters in them.

I would consider a couple things, and you can decide which factors to consider heavily...

1. Cost - larger tanks cost exponentially more to set up than nanos - tank cost, lighting, bigger water changes, more electricity, more hardware, etc. How much money do you have to play with?

2. Space - where would the larger tank live?

3. Maintenance - larger tanks take a lot more work to keep clean, and much larger water changes. Do you have a dedicated water change station and the time to keep it pristine?

As a general rule, a 75 gallon is a great size "large" tank with maintenance and cost that isn't overwhelming (at least in my book). If you own your own home and have a dedicated area for water and maintenance, then look larger.

Agreed ^^^

I went from a 20L in college to now setting up a 75g at home. I went with the 75g do to space constraints

I'm going to chill out for a while since my biocube keeps me pretty entertained. I will definitely aim for something at least 48" long, 24" wide in the near future. That would fill a nice empty space in my living room.

I'm going to chill out for a while since my biocube keeps me pretty entertained. I will definitely aim for something at least 48" long, 24" wide in the near future. That would fill a nice empty space in my living room.

Don't forget to look at the deep blue 80 rimless. Had I know about that tank, I may not have had a custom build done and saved a lot of money:deadhorse1:

Back