nitrate brick -- how often to replace?

CTaylor

Hi
I have a brightwell NO3 brick: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/xport-no3-biological-filtration-dimpled-brick-brightwell.html

I've had it for about a year. It took about 6 weeks to reduce my no3 down to 1-2 ppm (from 2-30). It's now creeping up again.

How often for those that use it, should it be replaced?

*this is not meant to be a discussion of if my no3 is too high or low, etc. I know what's been working for my tank and conditions, etc, and using this to get my NO3 to those levels has

TYY!!

Sounds dead to me, if what it's supposed to absorb and hold is no longer being absorbed. It's full up.

Hi sk8
what you said makes sense, but it's supposed to be an ideal home for bacteria to break down NO3 also. So I'm tinking they need to be replaced as they get piled up with detritus maybe??? I'm thinking if that's true, to wrap the next one in a filter sock and seal the sock? lol hmmmmmm

TTYYY though sk8

They dont need to be replaced they are like live rock and we typically dont replace live rock

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

They dont need to be replaced they are like live rock and we typically dont replace live rock

I tend to agree with you, but they are not the exact same as live rock, as it is not live rock, though has some of the same properties. I'm wondering if they can get congested with detritus (I guess live rock can as well!). that can cause it to sto pworking over time.

*anyone have one of these over a year that went from high no3 to low (IOW no3 went down coinciding with the brick)? and what happened to levels in long term with the same brick?

What the brick does is give bacteria a place to live so when you add a brick more bacteria= more nitrate consumption. I don't think it will consume any less nitrates but it wont consume more then its capacity if you get what I'm saying. If you add a second one then nitrates will drop further

Back