Nitrates~does it affect fish

puffer21

I was wondering what level of nitrates will effect fish and what level of nitrates will effect inverts and corals and things. I have some what of high nitrates about 50 but will that really hurt anything how high can it get.
Thanks puffer21

Eric Bornman(or was it Anthony Calfo?) said it to sombody on RC who asked if nitrates can cause fish to eat less. It was in his thread :) Would be nice to see some science about it.

Im not sure which thread it was, but within the last year for sure.

Do you think thats true?

I dunno, my trates in my FO have been between 50 and 80 for years and I'm going broke buying food for these guys. :D

One of the general observations of animal testing of chemicals is whether they eat the same amount of food. If not, it is taken as a potential sign of some sort of toxicity. I was trying to understand if someone was suggesting it was a true appetite suppressant independent of potential toxicity. But that seems to not be the basis of that comment from Eric. :)

I do not know if it is true or not. I put into the article that I wrote all that I found in reputable places, like Captive Seawater Fishes by Spotte.

But I would not call it an appetite suppressant, even if the effect observed is reduced food consumption. Maybe that is just the scientist in me, but if I get a migraine headache from taking a test chemical, and don't eat, I would not refer to it as an appetite suppressant. :D

Back