Nitrites are high, and I don't know why...

STLTim

I set up a QT a bit ago that is intended to be a "up all the time" QT.

After mixing salt, I added a cube of brime shrimp and let it go.
About a few weeks in I tested the water, Nitrates were 0, Nitrites were off the charts, and nitrates were at about 5ppm.

Since then Nitrites have not dropped.
I have done a water change. I have added a filter sock from my DT to try and get some bacteria going. Nothing, still sky high.

Anyone ever run into this before?

I had read that I should not put media in a qt. Perhaps I misread. Basically all I am using is a power filter without one of those carbon cartridge.

Just a thought of mine...maybe no media in qt in case you Medicate

Have you checked ammonia?

Maybe I miss read but you have nitrites?

You shouldn't have rocks, sand etc. but you still need something for the media to grow on - it won't grow on glass or in water. Most people use a sponge or something that they leave in their main tank/sump for a few days to collect bacteria and then move it over to the QT tank.

If you have to medicate, it may kill the bacteria so be prepared with water changes and have one of those ammonia alert things on the tank. When you get a new fish to QT, put another sponge in the main system so that if you have to medicate, you'll be able to swap it in once the meds have run their course.

You'll also want some PVC pipe or the like so the fish has someplace to hide and doesn't get stressed.

You shouldn't have rocks, sand etc. but you still need something for the media to grow on - it won't grow on glass or in water. Most people use a sponge or something that they leave in their main tank/sump for a few days to collect bacteria and then move it over to the QT tank.

If you have to medicate, it may kill the bacteria so be prepared with water changes and have one of those ammonia alert things on the tank. When you get a new fish to QT, put another sponge in the main system so that if you have to medicate, you'll be able to swap it in once the meds have run their course.

You'll also want some PVC pipe or the like so the fish has someplace to hide and doesn't get stressed.

What he said and one more thing:

NEVER EVER TAKE THE BIO SPONGE FROM YOUR MEDICATED TANK TO YOUR DT!

Yes - sorry about that. Swap it out was a poor choice of words on my part. Clean the medicated one and let it dry before using it again.

Nitrites are part of the cycle process. Ammonia,nitrites,nitrates,in that order.
Yes, correct. The odd thing is that there must not he enough nitrates building up so the nitrites are staying high. I'll get some filter stuff and see if that helps.

Yes, correct. The odd thing is that there must not he enough nitrates building up so the nitrites are staying high. I'll get some filter stuff and see if that helps.

It takes time for the nitrifying bacteria to build up. if your in a hurry use Prime or Smart Start,they help a ton.

I would do a 50% water change and go with it. You could read about a stalled cycle as well. There are some threads on RC about it.

Last edited:
Back