Nitrobactor supplement and cycling

ChefJoe

Hello RC!

So…. I happen to be in that classic cycle stall. My ammonia is pretty low and my nitrites are sky high and not converting to nitrates. It has been 22 days and the 24g tank has been fishless. I have done some stupid stuff with dosing more for my own educational experiments, but now I am stuck…

Can you guys recommend a good supplement for me that specializes in breaking down specifically nitrites.

I tried Dr. Tim’s the one and only and it has not pushed the needle. I am now into doising eco-balance.

I am at the point of doing a 75% WC? This seems to be the best decision?? And then dose a bit?

You guys are ALWAYS a big help! So thank you.

I'd honestly give up all the supplements and just wait it out, doing 25% weekly water changes (assuming your own RODI is in use) until the levels are there. Good luck-

Wait. Just wait. The cycle will take care of itself. 30-35 days is not unusual for a new tank to cycle.

Did I say just wait?

:ROFLMAO:

Kevin

You don’t mention your rockwork size, composition and whether you use sand.
This is where the “work” is done.
Dr. Tim’s, good porous dry rock, sand, an ammonia source would cycle your tank for at least, a pair easy by day 7.
Cycles don’t stall, not even if you stopped ammonia source however populations would be limited.
Test kits sometimes can be not so helpful….
Now the water change, that is to much for me, I do max 50%.

You don’t mention your rockwork size, composition and whether you use sand.
This is where the “work” is done.
Dr. Tim’s, good porous dry rock, sand, an ammonia source would cycle your tank for at least, a pair easy by day 7.
Cycles don’t stall, not even if you stopped ammonia source however populations would be limited.
Test kits sometimes can be not so helpful….
Now the water change, that is to much for me, I do max 50%.
Ahhhhh yes! Bare bottom tank, 15 pounds of artificial rock. Soooo, there wasn’t much bio load to begin with.

Ahhhhh yes! Bare bottom tank, 15 pounds of artificial rock. Soooo, there wasn’t much bio load to begin with.
Perfect so no issue, just going to take a bit more time.
Sand has a ton of surface area, so the lack of that means our rock does the work.
15 rock is just fine in a 24, but if your tests still don’t read right after 30 days in respect to near zero ammonia, some nitrite, and higher end nitrate, I would definitely add a couple of fish to continue building your good guy bacteria populations.

Use water changes to lower nitrates, but not fast, slower is better. So if I start at 50ppm nitrate, I’d expect to reach 10-20ppm in 4-6 months. For me, I did Nopox that number down over 6 months by just carbon dosing.

Love the look of bare bottoms……..

Last edited:
Back