No growth/loss of coraline

foundnemo11

I have noticed little to no growth for many of my sps corals in the past 10 months. A few of them have bleached. I use RODI and my parameters are always good.

I have been using API, and im thinking maybe this could be the culprit.( maybe they are off) I am planning on buying salifert today if things are not figured out.

I have 6x54 aquatic life t5. a jebao wp40, and a pretty good return pump from the sump.

I used to have coraline on rocks but it seems to be white now. Underneath the rocks seems to be ok on some rocks. I never had a problem with it growing( its always been slow) Could my lights be too much for a 75 gallon?

Does anyone know what could cause this? I do water changes about every 2 weeks. sometimes every week sometimes a little more than 2 weeks but my nitrates and phosphates are always low-zero.

PLEASE HELP IM GETTIN DISCOURAGED.

by the way fish inverts are all very healthy and have never had a death in the tank other than a clownfish that jumped out a long time ago

downbeach

I agree with getting the Salifert test kits. It sounds like too much light, did you change your lights/fixture lately?

Jonviviano

What are your calcium, alkalinity and mag levels? i have found that api kits are pretty accurate for measuring alk and calcium. Are they expired? are you dosing any supplements? Also, keeping zero phosphates can starve your sps out. I have an issue with lack of coraline algae in my reef, but i started with mostly dry rock. I recently picked up some purple encrusted rubble from a friend and i tried "seeding" by rubbing the rock together. I will let you know how that works out. good luck

tmz

ReefKeeping Mag staff
Premium Member
Could be the light. 6 T5s can be intense. Could be PO4 and NO3 are too low but you are feeding fish so maybe not. . Need a little information on key parameters: alk, calcium, magnesium,temperature, pH, salinity and nutrient levels to go much further. Are you dosing anything not noted so far?

blanden.adam

Team RC
I agree with what's been said -- in that it could be a number of things. I agree with the levels requested by Tom. I would also like to know any additional filtration you use (biopellets, GFO, GAC, macroalgae, etc), and if any green/brown algae is growing anywhere in your reef.

My top 2 suspects are nutrient deprivation and light-shock, but without getting more info it's really impossible to say.

foundnemo11

Nitrate about 10
Phosphates 0
Calcium 400 ( I dose this with kent calcium part a&b) I can't seem to get it higher
Alk 10
Magnesium was 1250 last time at Lfs I don't have a test I need to order one
Ph around 8.0
Temp is around 78
Salinity 1.025

I feed sea weed and 1 cube f frozen, sometimes in the am I'll throw some flakes in.

Should I switch to my 4x54 light ? I have ati bulbs now running 6 bulbs :4 blue+ 1 purple+ 1 coral +

They are both aquatic life fixtures w individual reflectors.

foundnemo11

Also a hammer coral which was purple and green is almost white and green now. And a lobo I had on the sand it pretty much fully bleached. A few sps bleached but still have polyp extension. Some sps are fine just not growing

Also a hammer coral which was purple and green is almost white and green now. And a lobo I had on the sand it pretty much fully bleached. A few sps bleached but still have polyp extension. Some sps are fine just not growing

Do you have the AL lights on legs or hung? If on legs then replace 2 of the bulbs with lower par bulbs, either they crappy AL bulbs that came with the fixture or actinic. If you search my previous posts I have a recent one with a pic of my 6 bulb par readings. Very bright.

SaltWater226

Premium Member
i had an 8x54 on a 75 it did great. Are your bulbs old? Do you dose A and B or magnesium ? Did u just change over to this light fixture? I have change my lighting a few times and usually my coraline will turn white than have to regrow every time I changed to stronger lighting. and my torch turned white when the bulbs were to old.

P.S if u really do water changes weekly you might not even need to dose

Roy Arena

I have a similar tank running a 6 bulb T5 fixture. I find that when mag drops below 1300 coraline bleaches out. When did the coral start to show signs of poor health and growth? Were they growing at a decent rate prior to this?

spider1218

as others have said i would look at your mag level. my coraline and hard coral growth stop and even die at levels below 1300 i keep them between 1350 and 1400.

kevensquint

Slowly reduce ALK to 8 DKH and raise Ca to 430 ppm. If your Ca test is off your reading of 400 could be 350, or anything in that neighborhood

bertoni

Premium Member
If the coralline loss dates to the change in fixtures, that would make some sense to me. I've managed to kill off coralline by changing lighting.

foundnemo11

I have zero algae growth. I plan to get water tested tomorrow at the Lfs for an accurate reading. I will post when I find the results. Thanks everyone for the help

blanden.adam

Team RC
Zero algae growth is pointing me toward nutrient deprivation. Keeping algae to a minimum is a good thing -- having it completely absent could mean trouble.