Noisy Sump

Stanton

My sump is way too loud. The durso is dead quit but the bubble noise in the sump is driving me nuts. I have tried the 45 trick...filter sock and the reverse durso. The reverse durso was the quitest but still lound. Any advice?

Do mags have a breakin period? My old mag 7 is alot quiter than my brand new mag 7.

I`ve done this on all my tanks right before it spills into a filter sock. The tube still runs straight down but the 45 degree PVC parts allow the back pressure of the air to escape. There is a little hole in the cap for air release. It has quited down all of my tanks and the 65 had a straight drop like in the pic.
78452fishtank_006__Small_.jpg

i just built a sump for myself, can you get some more pictures of your setup.... including filter sock and how its attached?

Thanks!

Phyxius....I tried just what you have pictured but without the endcap and hole. I'll give this a shot in the morning.

Drinkhomebrew...I tried a inch below all the way to 4 inches below. No difference.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8094620#post8094620 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Stanton
I tried just what you have pictured but without the endcap and hole. I'll give this a shot in the morning.

The endcap and hole is where all the sound quieting happens.

rsteagall

I don't have one installed in the pic but I just use a Velcro piece that is used for tying up cords and etc. It goes through the loop in the filter sock and then up over the PVC part with the 45s. Holds it in place and easy to remove.

Stanton

Put a small hole in the cap or the air will still be forced out of the end of the tube with the water. With the hole the air pressure goes out the cap and not all down the tube with the water that causes the splashing, whirling sounds. Start with a small hole and just go a little larger till you get it the way you want. Its easier to drill bigger than start all over with a new cap...

Phyxius

I tried it this morning and was pleased with the results. It still has a little noise from the smaller bubbles but alot better. Is it possible to be bubble free?

You might do something like this.

drain_noise_bubble_trap.png

The issue I think your having is the hiss from the smaller bubbles coming back up and poping on the open surface. This will capture the big and small bubbles and vent using a small hole in the top. You'll need a significantly large diameter pipe than your drain so the water will slow down to filter the smaller bubbles.

Hi Stanton,
Have you been able to fix the noise? I am in the same boat, I have alot of noise in the return hose ( flex tubing) going into the sump. Mine is quiet in the overflow, and quiet in the sump but I have alot of water noise inside the tube and I can't quiet it down.

Do you have pics of your return?

Anyone have any ideas? I have ran the tube strait into sump and also added 2 elbows.

should I switch to pvc, would this quiet it down?

90 gal aga with mag 7 return

Mtbikb, you sure that your pump is not making that noise which is just going through your piping? I don't know anything else other than that if your return is making noises... unless there is a hole somewhere in your line that is causing it to suck air in.

no not from the pump. there is air in the hose but it is coming from the overflow pipe.
the noise is the water and air rushing into the hose.
No sucking noise or gurgling from the intake. steady water level

I can't figure it out.
Thanks

I also had this problem with the noise from air in the hose. I figured it was the Stockman and could not get it quiet.
I was told to put a ball valve before the sump and close it to make back pressure in the hose. I already had a ball valve just after the bulkhead and was able to adjust the valve and quiet the noise in the tube.

Back