non RR upgrade?

mcpiii1124

Addict
I am seriously debating buying this tank for my upgrade the only problem is it is not drilled and the bottom is tempered. what are my options for a drain? how would i go about installing an overflow? is it a viable option? i dont want HOB anything. this is an awesome deal for this tank and its in great shape.

Last edited:
Drilling it is definately an option as long as the sides aren't tempered too... I drilled my current tank with a stand pipe, and it still skims the surface... You don't NEED a typical overflow... I don't like them because the the real estate they take up personally, though thy do work well... U can always drill and buy one you can silicone on as well, from BRS for example...

I recently bought a large RR tank and have to say, in retrospect, I think I would have gone non-RR and drilled holes in the top of the back wall for a coast-to-coast/bean animal overflow. I do have a tendency to overcomplicate things, but THAT is what I would do if I were you. Assumes, of course, that the back isn't also tempered, though it probably isn't.

bean animal overflows are the best- i am looking into doing that but i think ill probably go with one of those you silicone on.

the back isnt thats key as i think i am going with closed loop.

Iam a glass-holes proponet my self. Just put a 700g on my 45 with the mag 18 return from the basement and is VERY quite. The nano one I had on my 28 worked like a champ as well.

Ya i would drill the back of the tank and grab a glass-holes overflow. I am actually going to be adding one myself. And they can custom make them to any size and gallon flow you want. I actually want to buy another 46 bow to drill again as I have decided to I dont want to redrill this tank and I want to do a bean system on it.....so anyone have another 46 bow they want to sell cheap lol

bean animal overflows are the best- failsafe and they are quiet- i saw the glass holes ones and i was looking at the ghost overflows

Glass Holes overflows would work well too, though they all seem to be just two bulkhead units - I wonder if they make a three hole version?

i found the acrylic pieces real cheep on ebay- you can find one wide enough to fit 3 bulk heads in. its a 6' tank so i have the length for a long skinny one

Back