Non-Standard Clean up crew?

Twz

Heyy,
I was just thinking about using a "Non-Standard" clean up crew
Such as just having spaghetti worms and such
rather than just having hermits and snails
Have any suggestions on what i would actually need? and were i could find something like this?

The tank is a 65G reef (or soon to be) with a large amount of live rock (i think something like 80 pounds)

Thanks
Kyle

You'd ned to ID what fish you'd like to house with these kinds of inverts and assure that they won't eat your CUC. Interesting concept though.

Well,
I am planning on just having Two False clowns
A midas blenny and a pygmy angle (not sure what exactly it is Yellow face? purple body)
and depending on further research maybe a yellow headed jawfish

And
SWaquariast-
I'm not sure you understood my question or i just don't understand yours
But i'm not really looking for any thing rare or beautiful Just looking for a diferen't way to go about the clean up crew.

i think that with your list of potenial fish you could have any invert you wanted...............

maybe you should list what you are thinking about?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12782917#post12782917 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bsagecko
i think that with your list of potenial fish you could have any invert you wanted...............

maybe you should list what you are thinking about?
Sorry,
I was actually looking at http://ipsf.com
and it gave me the idea
But i was thinking about having things that would actually breed in the aquarium
Such as Spaghetti worms,
Them small Serpent stars, capitellid worms
and other various things we would normally find as hitchhikers
that are beneficial to the aquaria

I would get copepods you can buy them for $15 online for a bag of 200-500 and it will reproduce to 2000 in 2weeks. If you don't have any predators a the time. With the serpant stars stay away from the large ones they eat sleeping fish but the little tiny white ones are fine.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12783138#post12783138 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SWaquariast
I would get copepods you can buy them for $15 online for a bag of 200-500 and it will reproduce to 2000 in 2weeks. If you don't have any predators a the time. With the serpant stars stay away from the large ones they eat sleeping fish but the little tiny white ones are fine.
I actually already have started adding supplemental live copepods and rotifers
(I breed them for rearing clownfish)
And the small white ones were what i was referring to

Where did you get your copepods I have been looking for them. And have you had any luck with rearing clownfish fry.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12783232#post12783232 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SWaquariast
Where did you get your copepods I have been looking for them. And have you had any luck with rearing clownfish fry.
I actually got a culture from a friend of mine, I'll ask him tomorrow and see were he got them,
As for the clown fish i have 18 successful attempts out of 30, each of the successful i got a yield of about 14-17 that made it past medimorphisous (Sp?)

Bristleworms, can't go wrong with them. They eat everything, I have ordered them from that site before and was very pleased. Still have a couple of the originals. Just be sure no six line wrasse or arrow crab graces your tank.

I wouldn't get bristle worms unless you put them in a fuge or sump they will eat your coral if they run out of a food source and hallow out your rock and eventually over run your aquarium.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12785746#post12785746 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SWaquariast
I wouldn't get bristle worms unless you put them in a fuge or sump they will eat your coral if they run out of a food source and hallow out your rock and eventually over run your aquarium.

Only a few species feed on coral. Most are harmless.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12785746#post12785746 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SWaquariast
I'm not sure if you've noticed but most aquariums have 100's of bristle worms,
I'v never heard of them hallowing out rock but I'm sure its possible in some species
As for them eating coral what happens most commonly is the coral is in a state of deteriorating health and the bristle worms feed on the dead tissues and end up getting blamed for the death of the coral

But no other suggestions on any other creatures and/or where to get them?

Eucinid (sp) worm is the bad one and they are several feet long. There are LOTS of bristle worms species so I'm sure there are some other bad apples in the group.

I think it is a cool idea and hope you come up with some critter lists for us to look at =D.

Spaghetti worms are generally present when you overfeed. I'm not sure keeping them would be much of an option.

Back