Normal BTA Behavior?

Hannawa

I was given a BTA the other day. I acclimated it and placed it into the tank. The rock it was on is basically shaped like an upside U and was on the underside of the U. When the lights went off it moved to the backside of the backside where there is basically 0 light ever. It has been there for almost a week. Is this normal? I can't feed it while its back there. Should I rotate the rock to put it into the light and where I can feed it?

It should move into the light on it's own, however I have had one vanish too... They can get trapped and perish. If I were you I'd give moving it a try if it's not too difficult to do.

Other than that it's really going to go where it wants to. When they get introduced to a new system sometimes they hide out for a while. That BTA is from Phils tank right? That thing was hidden for quite some time in his tank before he even discovered it.

Yeah from Phils. I remember when he told me it split and it pretty much immediatley went into hiding. I've never had one and was just a lil worried about it.

If its a green bulb tip it originally came from the museum, I traded it to Phil. In the same tank clones tend to pick all sorts of random places to hide out, but they usually end up in the light. I'd move the rock and see if it gets happy.

Well I got home and hes protruded about half his tentacles back out into the light. Thanks for the input though!

Excellent. They tend to go into hiding when first introduced into a tank. Have you ever seen one excrete waste yet? That may be the next thing that concerns you when you see it.

They are remarkably hardy. Mine split a couple of months back and the small half is just now starting to recover. One half was pretty much fine, but the other looked good initially, then healed without a mouth. It had no visible mouth for a couple of weeks and ended up losing 90% of it's tentacles. It was barely hanging onto the rock for a while and I was sure that it was on it's way out.

Now it's got it's tentacles growing back and does all of the normal things that it should be doing.

Back