Not green hair algae, so what?

lloydie11

Hello,

Recent addition to my tank, the very first coral.

I believe it's a galaxy (galexea) coral, which I've since read being quite aggressive may not have been the most sensible choice, but I don't plan on having too many that it should cause a fight.

I did the reef dip to ensure any pests were gone prior to placement, and decided to leave it on the plug until I was certain of the placement.

I don't have any algae issues currently in my tank, but I've noticed what appears to be a few spread very fine strands of grass coming from the coral, and due to the length, pretty sure it can't be GHA.

You can see in the picture I highlighted the sweepers with blue, and the grass like things as red.
PXL_20230105_192533143~2.jpg

Does anyone know what this is and if I should be removing it? I can try pulling it off, however I doubt I'd get it all and worried I may cause it to spread.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Image without the highlighting below for a clearer view.
PXL_20230105_192533143.jpg

Thanks

Hello,

Recent addition to my tank, the very first coral.

I believe it's a galaxy (galexea) coral, which I've since read being quite aggressive may not have been the most sensible choice, but I don't plan on having too many that it should cause a fight.

I did the reef dip to ensure any pests were gone prior to placement, and decided to leave it on the plug until I was certain of the placement.

I don't have any algae issues currently in my tank, but I've noticed what appears to be a few spread very fine strands of grass coming from the coral, and due to the length, pretty sure it can't be GHA.

You can see in the picture I highlighted the sweepers with blue, and the grass like things as red.
View attachment 32377666
Does anyone know what this is and if I should be removing it? I can try pulling it off, however I doubt I'd get it all and worried I may cause it to spread.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Image without the highlighting below for a clearer view.
View attachment 32377668

Thanks
1 of many macro algaes that hitch hike on plugs and rocks. Could be pretty, could be invasive, you wouldn't know unless you let it grow. Doubtful you would be able to get rid of it since it's likely rooted in the rock and will just keep sprouting. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it yet. Post a picture when it has a more identifiable structure. Enjoy the new discoveries.:)

1 of many macro algaes that hitch hike on plugs and rocks. Could be pretty, could be invasive, you wouldn't know unless you let it grow. Doubtful you would be able to get rid of it since it's likely rooted in the rock and will just keep sprouting. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it yet. Post a picture when it has a more identifiable structure. Enjoy the new discoveries.:)
Thanks, appreciate the pointers. The Corel has been in situ for about 10 days, not sure if my lighting is adequate as it's showing more brown than green, so I've moved it higher up near a better flow to see if it's any happier.

I'll report back my progress.

Thanks,

What Kharma said.

Dipped him again and he seems much healthier and livelier, and alot happier on the bed than on the rock.

Thanks for the help!

Back