not new to the hobby but still welcome your advise

MarcoPolo

I was out two weeks for vacation and when I returned my 120 marine tank was literraly covered with long brown slimy alge, not a single rock escaped. a huge outburst - it's really ugly and long! I've never seen anything like this in all my years in the hobby. A friend of mine took care of the aquarium while I was gone - but he did this for me many times over the years - never had issues before. I can't figure out what on earth caused such slimly growth in only 2 weeks. Any idea - and more important - how to get my aquarium back to normal?

Current water perams will help alot. I suppose determining wht it happened is less important than correcting the problem. did he overfeed? leave the lights on for 2 weeks? *shrug*

I am going to guess excess nutrients are playing a role here. I would receommend a pretty large water change as well as some good ol fashioned rock scrubbing. leave your lights off for a few days. continue to test water and handle accordingly. (additional water changes, run carbon, etc)

lighting was automatic, and feeding limited. I measured my top-off water, nitrate is very small but higher than tank level. While I was away, this water was fed into the tank. Could small nitrate levels do all this harm in 2 weeks?

Back