Not skimming in 40 gal?

JRM88

My skimmer constantly produces heaps and heaps of microbubbles. I cant get rid of them. Is it ok not to skim a 40 gal? Would I need to do extra water changes for this to work? I've turned the skimmer off today and the difference is amazing. Thanks!

Hmm what kind of skimmer are you using? Yes it is ok to skim a 40, I skim a 45g. Did you add any water conditioners or vitamins to your tank? If so it would cause alot of bubles.

I'm using a Octopus Hang on the Back..I tihnk it is BH-100 model. It always produces heaps n heaps of bubbles. It looks so much nicer when the skimmer isnt on.

I have a microbubble problem with my remora skimmer too. For the amount of skimmate it pulls out I wouldn't be willing to stop skimming, but I would love to hear some methods for reducing microbubbles on various skimmers.

I don't use any additives at this point, only Reef Crystals and Distilled water.

cutting out a piece of foam and placing it inside the outflow chamber seems to cut down on the bubbles for my remora.

I tried putting some foam in but I think it must have been too thick because the water didnt get through quick enough and the water starting to be blocked. I also tried a cutting up a stocking and that didnt work either. I hate bubbles!!!!

If you're getting microbubbles in the tank, your skimmer isnt pulling enough air, and is moving too much water. Check your venturi.

Ok I am a female.. I had a hard enough time getting the stupid thing to work let alone knowing all the parts of it, could you try explain what the venturi is? And what I need to do to get it to pull enough air?

Back