Not so newbie

sphistak

In Memoriam
Just joined the forum (which is pretty impressive)...

I've ran nano's in the past, last one over 5 years ago, and decided to start a 29 gallon. Currently cycling with a deep sand bed, about 10 lbs of base rock, and 8 lbs of live rock. Penguin Powerhead (i forget the model), heater and a Aquaclear 50.... Standard 50/50 Reef light from Zoo Med (T5 coming real soon)

I've noticed thru my current readings that many don't use filters anymore, yet choose refugiums or sumps? I have the notion to build my own hang on refugium. Question is, if I build a refugium, do I still need the Aquaclear hob filter? And do I use the suggested components that came with it? (ie. sponge, carbon sack, ceramic cubes)

If you are running a skimmer and fuge then you really don't need the HOB filter also, but at the same time it doesn't hurt to use it. It gives you the option of changing up mechanical filter media to deal with issues, as well as running chemical media for phosphate and silicate removal, etc.

I say use the filter, but ditch the ceramic rings as you will have enough biologicals in your DSB/LR. Most people run Purigen and either Chemipure Elite or a high quality GFO. The sponge can stay or be swapped for floss or filter pads.

I say use the filter, but ditch the ceramic rings as you will have enough biologicals in your DSB/LR. Most people run Purigen and either Chemipure Elite or a high quality GFO. The sponge can stay or be swapped for floss or filter pads.

+1

Having the extra HOB filter just adds area to have Chemipure etc..

In any nano I would take out the DSB because it will get loaded with nitrates, and if you disturb it even a lil in a tank that small it can crash. I wouldn't use one unless it was in a fuge where it can stay undisturbed

In any nano I would take out the DSB because it will get loaded with nitrates, and if you disturb it even a lil in a tank that small it can crash. I wouldn't use one unless it was in a fuge where it can stay undisturbed

Really? Its a 29 gallon tank.... Let me measure how deep it actually is.....

Ok, just measured and its actually only 2 1/2 inches deep. Looks alot deeper....

Would that be a safe depth Stevie?

I have about 2" to 2 1/2" of sand in my 29gal. Works great. Plenty deep enough without being too deep.

My setup is basically this:

29gal standard + 15 gallon sump split into two sections. First half is a fuge, second is for the return pump. I use a Remora HOB skimmer and have a TLF reactor with GFO and Carbon. My overflow is probably running somewhere around 200gph I guess. I don't run it at full bore. For light, a single 175w halide pendant. I have a couple blue LED's for moonlights that work well. I have a lot of rock though. I have 80lbs of it split between the sump and display. The uglier (less shapely) pieces went into the sump. For sand I mixed fine sugar sized sand with medium roughness sand/crushed coral mix. Basically a bag of dry sand and a bag of live sand (from the fish store).

I cycled my rock separately for about 2 months before I put the tank in. The tank cycle only took 2 weeks and was super mild as there was negligible die off and the liverock only moved from basement to tank on the main floor.

I also started out without a sump. I just had the skimmer and an aquaclear 50. While it worked, I had a problem with surface skimming. Adding an overflow and a sump helped with this a great deal. The extra water volume, plus refugium area were quite a plus.

That is fine if you don't have room for a sump. It'll be fine. But I suggest something to skim the water's surface. The Remora skimmer has a surface skimming attachment. Unsure if there is one for the aquaclear..

Its not going to give you problems for a while It hopefully never will as long as you have good filtration. I would also take some of that plastic netting that you use for outdoor screens, and layer it with that so you get little to no disturbance, also adding a plenum is a good idea. If you can run one successfully than that's great it is without a doubt a good method of filtration. I've just heard a lot about tanks crashing because of them so make sure it's set up properly. BTW heres a thread on how to turn an aquaclear 70 into a refug http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=601201 Happy Reefing :D

Thanks Stevie,

I was fooling around on craigslist and found someone selling an aquaclear 70 refugium for $25! Waiting for a response email....

Back