My water quality is this:

Amonia 0
nitrates 0
nitrites 0
ph 8.0-8.2
temp 78
calcium 400
Salinity 1.024

My question is do I get rid of th Bio Wheel? I know it can elevate my Nitrates. At this time it is not. With such good water quality I dont want to fix what isnt broke but at the same time would like to get rid of the ugly thing on the back of the tank. I know I should have a sump but with the limited room under the stand I dont beleive it is a option at this point.

Do I not mess with a good thing and leave it or do I take it off?

Thanks

Last edited:
if you take it off what kind of water flow would u have? didnt see a mention of a powerhead in your list

Lose the wheel. The live rock will take care of it. After you remove it don't add anything new for a week or two. You might get a mini spike while the bacteria in the rocks catch up.

Thanks for the replys. I will give it a yank off the ol' tank. But if anyone has any other advise of why I should or should not take it off please let me know.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11632228#post11632228 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Burbs
if you take it off what kind of water flow would u have? didnt see a mention of a powerhead in your list

Good point! you'll need to add a powerhead for water flow.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11632268#post11632268 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jackets22
Thanks for the replys. I will give it a yank off the ol' tank. But if anyone has any other advise of why I should or should not take it off please let me know.
You can use your filter to run carbon, which is what I do on my fish only tank, but yes take off the biowheel. you can also put some live rock or rubble in there which will also add more bio-filtration

OR, some people even keep the biowheel on (if it is small compared to the tank... its not that the wheel will create so much nitrate that the tank will die overnight), so they have a cycled wheel if they need a hospital tank. but since you're new in the hobby I would read up on this before doing it

I plan on pointing the Pengiun 660 powerhead toward the top to create some top water movement and I have the Korilla 3 at the bottom.

My only concern at this point is I will have no mechanical filtration. It already looks a ton better having it off. I guess I will have to have a trial by error at this point.

Back