Not sure which return pump I need

Waters40

Can somebody please point me in the right direction? I am trying to decide between the Mag 7 and Mag 9.5. I am using a Eshopps 800 gallon overflow. The sump is in a different room so I have a lot of flexibility with head pressure depending on how far off the floor I bring the sump. The only thing I can't control is the 17' of vertical distance and four 90 degree turns. Will the 9.5 be too much or will the 7 work? According to the calculators online, the 7 would be putting out 468 GPH after head loss. The 9.5 would be putting out 726 GPH which is kind of close to my 800 GPH maximum.

Why not just get a DC unit with multilpe speeds that you can dial in depending on your needs and taste (thats what i wish i had done and thats what im going to upgrade to in a few months).

Its hard to answer the question here without knowing the size of the bulk head. I run 850gph through mine with room to spare but some times its good to go with a lower flow to give the skimmer time to work, and some times you might want to blast it to export more trash into the filter sock, say for an hour right before its time to put on a new sock......(Thats why im going with a DC controllable pump)

I like the new Diablo DC pumps, i recommend either the 5500 or 10500 as the can be run internal or external.

If you don't have a tank controller youll love these pmps as they have their own feed cycle, they have a 10 second slow start and run with 6 different speeds.

Link: http://www.reefoctopus.com/product_detail.aspx?ProductsCateID=241&CateID=35&CurrCateID=239

Last edited:
I think you mean 17' of horizontal and 4 90's neither of those pumps will work with 17 vertical feet. The mag 9.5 is a good pump.

Well if you know you're in the right ballpark that's what counts. Here's my take. I wish I had gone with a larger return pump than my overflow can handle, and built a PVC manifold coming off it with 4 channels and a ball valve at each one. This enables you to run a multitude of reactors in the future and eliminates having a bunch of mj1200s cluttering up your sump and power strips.

Yes, go larger than you think you need now. You'll end up wanting to add reactors, refugiums, etc., later, and you'll need extra GPH to support it. You can always turn down the flow on the pump output with a valve...

Or get one of the newer DC pumps as suggested. I just replaced a Mag9.5 with the SpeedWave DC-5000... nice pump!

Yes, sorry, I meant 17' of horizontal, not vertical :) I ended up going with the larger mag 9.5. Thanks everybody.

Back