Noticed bristle worms inside clam

oshanickreef

So I was looking at a clam that doesn't look happy and when I flipped it over I saw a few bristle worms that I tried to pick out but a few of them slithered inside the base of the clam!!! So I was wondering can I freshwater dip the clam to kill the bristle worm?? Or is there another way?

Any advice is appreciated!

Nick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bristleworms usually don't bother anything healthy and rather show up after the fact to scavenge. How did you flip the clam over? Usually they are sturdily attached by the foot.

You could dip the clam, but it sounds like something else is going on besides the worms.

The clam is in trouble. Bristleworms sometimes act to clean up rotten flesh, which is to the clam's benefit, but what's causing the problem may be much smaller: look for signs of pyramid snails. Look up on Google. They're very tiny.

So updating... that clam died. The hinge where both shell pieces on the clam connect broke so it was unable to keep itself together. I did have my water sent into an ICP and results are low iodine and strontium. I dose iodine and almost immediately all my corals started to look more vibrant and shimmer. The lps puffed back up and could handle my flow again. So long story short. Dose iodine people!!!

It is part of your salt mix (the ingredients list)---but not all salt mixes are created equal. My favorite is Oceanic, but it runs very high in magnesium (to support large coral population) and that may be extreme for tanks with no corals.

So updating... that clam died. The hinge where both shell pieces on the clam connect broke so it was unable to keep itself together. I did have my water sent into an ICP and results are low iodine and strontium. I dose iodine and almost immediately all my corals started to look more vibrant and shimmer. The lps puffed back up and could handle my flow again. So long story short. Dose iodine people!!!

Did the trouble happen quickly, if so, not sure about the low iodine/strontium cause. I would expect that might take months even if.....

Dosing iodine can be very problematic, I dose iodide/iodate to a 0.03-0.06ppm level, strontium is in my mix. Make sure you test daily to ya get the feel for consumption, overdoses are possible.

Back