Now a lighting question, yo.

sage_commander

I have been having trouble finding something to light my 46g bowfront, which came with a FW light. I was seriously considering <a href="http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=12109&N=2004+113345">this</a> CF fixture because it has mounting hardware that looks like it would work with my tank. I was just going to go "open top" and maybe cut a piece of acrylic to fit the bow part up front. But then I discovered a new wrinkle: it's supposed to be used with covered aquariums only.

So is there another place I should be looking for lighting for this thing? I'd prefer something other than an HID(I'm planning for FOWLR and maybe a BTA in the future).

Or could I cut a big piece of clear plexiglas to cover the whole top of the tank and cut several big holes for good gas exchange?

Sorry for the babbling, but any input would be appreciated.

I'd love to hear about the closed top too. My light also says to be used only on a closed top aquarium, but the lights are protected by a slide in acrylic plate to block water from the bulbs. I always assumed them saying to only use on closed top tanks was a precaution so when I drop it in the tank by accident I can't sue them or something.

But anyway, would love to hear what others have done.

no problems running it with out a covered top. The bulbs on the CL fixtures are covered by a strip of acrylic. You can buy mounting legs for the fixture. Ones that rest it a couple of '' above the tank(4-5'') using gravity or one that screws onto the tank and lets you flip the fixture back to make for more room for your arms to go into the tank.

Yup, mine is the 30" version of Pats and although I've only turned it on long enough to make sure the lights work I like the way it looks :)

"although I've only turned it on long enough to make sure the lights work I like the way it looks."

You'd better, for almost $500. But I may just go with the one I linked to at the top, and just make sure to wipe it down each week or each day.

Back