O.K. or not??? URGENT

jden092901

Hey,

I'm setting up my 120 on Tue (thats when I get my rock/sand). With the initial setup, can I use normal tap water, my well water? Then after my tank has cycled I would do a 50 % water change or so and then start using my RO/DI water. Would that be ok, or would you just use RO/DI from the start, with the cycle?

Thank you,

Joshua J. Denning

I would use RO/DI from the start...not knowing the TDS or mineral contamination of your water and would highly recommend you to at least purchase the better water if you don't have an RO unit yet.

Just my .02

I agree - don't use well water you don't know what's in it. You want a good start and that will be asking for trouble. Good luck with the new tank.

I agree as well. Get an RO/DI system and only use that water. Why risk starting off behind the 8 ball?

There are some cities that have very low TDS in there tap water. Like in michigan, there is a Reef Coral shop that sells frags on the web. They claim to use their cities tap water. BUT I'm sure that this is rare.

To me.....the rule......NEVER TAP WATER

:hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer:
tap water.. tap water..tap water

RO/DI just buy the water if you cant aford the unit yet but deffinetly get one i have well water it has all kinds of stuff in it. not a bad idea to get a water softer if you dont have one already well water is ussually filled with minerals

My local LFS sells RO/DI water for about .40 cents a gallon. At least use that until you can get a RO/DI unit.

A good Ocean Reef +1 from the filterguys will only set you back $199.00.

save you some money on the initial start if you havent decided on a RO/DI unit (I havent)

walmart sells really good RO water for 37c /gal....

i usually get about 15-20gals at a time for no more than 5-8$ whenever i go grocery shopping.

this is a good solution to stall and give you time to pick out a good RO/DI

but at the same time can be annoying since you have a 120...that would take a lot of trips. but then again...the rate at wich an RO/DI fills the 120 you might fill it quicker going to walmart...youre gonna end up needing the water jugs anyways to store your own premade water.

hope i didnt say somehting stupid the reef police /more experienced people will arrest me for :p

good luck!

ps.- pics would be nice...i mean im poor cant afford a 120 but its nice to see what it would be like to actually set one up

The only problem that I can see with getting the water from walmart is........Do you trust when they last changed the filters ??? did they even realy change them. I know that their water filters are maintained by an outside company, but last year I was in a walmart & looked at the sticker that is posted on when the unit was lasted serviced. The date was 8 months old. With all of the people using it & thousands of gallons of water.....do you trust it ?

Now after saying this. You can get a COM-100 portable TDS meter from the filterguys for $50.00. You can now test any water anytime you want & see if its good.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14811345#post14811345 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Flipper62
The only problem that I can see with getting the water from walmart is........Do you trust when they last changed the filters ??? did they even realy change them. I know that their water filters are maintained by an outside company, but last year I was in a walmart & looked at the sticker that is posted on when the unit was lasted serviced. The date was 8 months old. With all of the people using it & thousands of gallons of water.....do you trust it ?

At least my local walmart has a label inside of the water area that shows the last time they tested (or say they did) the water. For my 12 and now 29, 3x 5g jugs has worked well.

Back