o.t. dish or direct tv

jfuka78

Moving this weekend and well Comcast is crazy priced. So does anyone have satellite which one do you like?

Dish - it is fine. The biggestl difference is you can only get the NFL package on DirectTV. I don't want to spend the $ on that so it is irrelevant.
Compare prices (there are always deals). And channels. Dish tends to have more oddball ones available (either in their package or for a fee) - see if there are some that matter to you that is only on one vs the other. There are a copule that Dish has and DirecTv doesn't so I am happy as is with Dish.

ahh yes which to go with....

ahh yes which to go with....

With Direct TV it always goes out with rain or heavy snow. However I had Dish install incorrectly with out using a footpad under the SAT on the roof. Caused some water to leak in the attic. Than the box did not want to work.... Dish is hurting really bad for service.

If you go with Direct TV give them my name so we both can get $50 off the bill :thumbsup:

For basic Chan with HBO and Starz HD on 2 box which are DVR's I'm paying $67 per month. Going on my 2nd year.

Check on att uvers??

i have had both of them and i like direct tv better. i would get direct tv
my direct tv doesnt really go out only on a bad storm just like all satellite systems do.

Directv. I like the ease of use with the guide and menu options, these are far better than dish imo. If you get the dvr, that is much better as well. The layout is also better. Pretty much overall in easiness and use is better. There are more Digital channels and better channels options at around the same price.

Dish network here for the last 7 years. Works great and I find it to be a good value. I used direct tv before that and I did not like it.

Directv for me. I love the ease of use, I have the iphone app to record from anywhere, and have the whole house DVR option. It is really nice. I am a sports freak, and do get the NFL and NHL packages.

love dish network, no hassles at all(except for when they first installed it because i ended up doing half the install) i get all the hd channels i want and more for a decent price. tried direct tv before and did not like it. to the person who mentioned it, how is the direct tv dvr better? are you talking about the standard one? all i read said the hd dvr for dish is one of the best available so im just trying to compare.

They are both pretty much the exact same. When I was choosing dish was cheaper and had better service rating and their dvr was and I believe still is rated the best

I absolutely love my DirecTV. I've had it for over 10 years. Customer service is top rate. Living in the country I've had several incidents with trees falling on the dish or lightning frying the components and every time they have had it replaced quickly, and free. As far as rain or snow interupting service, the only time I've had that happen was under severe weather with very high winds, or a very wet snow accumulating several inches on the actual dish. Considering that Dish Network uses a very similar dish I would have to think that they have the exact same issues as far as weather goes. I also love the fact that I can go online anywhere and program my DVR, or just use the Droid app on my phone. I don't know if Dish has that option or not.

Directv! Customer service is excellent....everyone I know that has dish hates it. Call with a friends acct number and you get 100 bucks and so does your friend when you sign up.

More people will have DirectTV, but I have had all 3 providers (directTV, Comcast, and Dish), and I will have to say that the customer support for Dish Network is the best out of any of them. Plus they have the HD FREE for Life thing going on now.

Go DISH NETWORK, you wont regret it!

They are both pretty much the exact same. When I was choosing dish was cheaper and had better service rating and their dvr was and I believe still is rated the best

I agree. We have had both. I had Dish for two years when my contract ran out. I called them back and asked what they would do for me if I stayed. Long story short, they upgraded all my equipment to HD with DVR's and added a new dish on top of the house. They also knocked $10.00 off the monthly bill for 12 months. Direct TV's customer ratings are terrible right now.
As far as options, Comcast, Dish and Direct all have the same options for the most part. Dish was cheaper by a long shot this time around.

I agree. We have had both. I had Dish for two years when my contract ran out. I called them back and asked what they would do for me if I stayed. Long story short, they upgraded all my equipment to HD with DVR's and added a new dish on top of the house. They also knocked $10.00 off the monthly bill for 12 months.

Just like that they gave you an upgrade for free? You didn't have to pay $150 equipment upgrade?The reason why I ask, not to say that it didn't happen, but after I called this is what happened when I called for my parents, they've been with dish for 12 years home and business, and when I asked to upgrade them,because they have never upgraded, they told me $150 to upgrade equipment and that's not including shipping. And to get the HD there was a $100 dollar non refundable deposit/fee, and thats what they could do for me after the fact, so I canceled. It's in the process of being canceled at their business as well. When they come back from Greece tomorrow they'll have directv because dish wouldn't do anything for being a customer of 12 years.

Nope. The first thing I said to them when I called was that I had already talked to Comcast which I had. Since the start of the contract two years earlier we bought 3 HD TV's. I told them that Comcast would hook them all up with HD equipment and that Comcast was cheaper. We spent no money at all getting upgraded and they came out the next day.
It's all about when you call. if you are in the middle of your contract I doubt they will do anything for you.

Just like that they gave you an upgrade for free?

I also played this game with Dish Network and got my HD stuff installed for Free. They waved several hundred dollars in equipment and setup costs just because I mentioned DirectTV. They are VERY interested in retaining you as a customer. DirectTV acted as if "we have so many customers, we don't need you".

For customer service, I would rate them as:

Dish Network
Direct TV
Comcast (Have you ever had to go to the 'comcast prison' on North Avenue? This will give you a good idea of their customer service experience in general, lol. Going there is like picking your cousin up from county jail.)

Dish is rated better and has a better DVR. I would get the cheap intro price and switch every year if it wasnt a PIA.

I am this close to getting a Boxee http://www.boxee.tv/
This will let you watch
TV over the internet for free. I think this and a pair of over the air antennas should cover all my viewing needs. I am waiting to see how it goes since it just came out in November

Back