Observations on PSK-600 vs Bubbleblaster 1000

FlyPenFly

SPS Killer
They're rated around the same air draw but the PSK-600 has almost double the water draw. This means while it can process more water per hour, it might not filter it quite as well since the Bubbleblaster filters the water it does process a bit more thoroughly.

In use, I've noticed the PSK-600 is much louder than the nearly silent Bubbleblaster. I can't make a comment about bubble size, they both seem fine to me. The PSK-600 does seem to start a foam head a bit quicker but it might just have to do with the systems they're in, there might just be more DOC in one than the other.

In terms of build quality, the Sicce is not bad at all however the Bubbleblaster build seems like it would last a lifetime. Everything is just a bit nicer and more precise. One large difference is that the impeller on the bubble blaster is much larger, almost seems like double the diameter.

In the future, I think I'm always going to go for the Bubbleblaster pumps over the Sicce equivalent.

Just wanted to share my thoughts. I'm curious how good the new DC pumps they're using are in terms of impeller size and build quality.

The chineese made bubble blasters have had more issues than the italian sicce pumps. Also the sicce shark pumps are their best pumps and are quieter than the psk models. The impeller is bigger though on the bubble blasters but the sicce pumps are more balanced than the BB pumps when it comes to air/water ratio's. The bottom line is that the Italian pumps are just better quality than the chineese pumps. Sicce also makes the tunze pumps for those of you who didn't know that. Askoll pumps are better than all of the above. Just an fyi.

Excellent observations guy's.

Do you think the BB1000 or the Sicce would work on a ASM g3?

What size shark would that equate on the Sicce?

Thanks in advance!

Neither one for the G3 body, they are both too small, look in the ASM thread on the Tunze version, the impeller uses better magnets on the Tunze one and pulls better.

Excellent observations guy's.

Do you think the BB1000 or the Sicce would work on a ASM g3?

What size shark would that equate on the Sicce?

Thanks in advance!

The shark 2.0 would be great on that skimmer body. 720lph of air pull. Marine depot sells one with the pump stand included. Its the aquamaxx cone 2 replacement set. 189.00$

Neither one for the G3 body, they are both too small, look in the ASM thread on the Tunze version, the impeller uses better magnets on the Tunze one and pulls better.

The tunze and shark pumps are the same.

The motor block is the same, Tunze uses their own impeller and pin wheel, unless something has changed recently.

That I do not know, it is certainly possible. Roger in Tunze section may know, if there's any difference it will be in the volute and impeller length.

Great info guys !

Does the Tunze pull more scfh Jack than the shark? I have heard great reviews on the shark pumps. I didn't know what size for the 6" body on my G3.

Thanks guys, rock on

It should, I am not where I can look up the specs on the Hydrofoamer. The G3 is a 6.5" body, over the years I tried numerous pumps on my old G3, and I actually got the best performance with the stock Sedra, but there were two versions of that pump, a regular and a HO, I have both versions, the only real difference is the output size.

I can tell you a psk2500 is too small, a psk1000 is too much, a DC3000 is about the same as the ksp5000, a Laguna1500 is way too big, as is a Laguna900. If I were still using the G3 body I would have tried a DC5000 next, but it would have to be turned down, the DC3000 on high wasn't enough, but was pretty close to stock. Or I would have gone with the Hydrofoamer, may people have reported it was a great fit on the G3 body.

I thought the g3 was a 6" skimmer. This explains it then. It's a full bodied 6.5" non space saving skimmer. The shark 2 would probably be a little to small then.

Pumps are the same , although the magnet is different. The Shark has coated with a plastic epoxy to prevent the magnet from rusting. The Tunze does not have a coating it uses the better of the two types of magnets.I believe it uses Neodymium magnets.

The tunze and shark pumps are the same.

i consulted with Roger at Tunze if I could replace my EM 300 magnet with the Tunze but he said it is not compatible due to the length of the magnet and shaft. The reason for the change is that the EM does not pull the amount of air it states.

You are correct. Can the tunze impeller be used as a replacement?

Looks like I finally got in touch with the right people here for what I'm looking for. I had always thought the body was 6" also. I have went through 2 pumps in about 9 years of having this skimmer. It does ok but I always thought the pump was lacking in production terms and could gain alot from a pump upgrade.

Ok, what are your thoughts on a BB2000 on the G3? Thats what RO uses on their 6" body Super Reef or would you say that it would be too small as well? The Tunze still the better pump?

Rock on guy's, thanks for the reply's

Yes they do! Tunze specs are very close to the stated spec.

Great info guys !

Does the Tunze pull more scfh Jack than the shark? I have heard great reviews on the shark pumps. I didn't know what size for the 6" body on my G3.

Thanks guys, rock on

The chineese made bubble blasters have had more issues than the italian sicce pumps. Also the sicce shark pumps are their best pumps and are quieter than the psk models. The impeller is bigger though on the bubble blasters but the sicce pumps are more balanced than the BB pumps when it comes to air/water ratio's. The bottom line is that the Italian pumps are just better quality than the chineese pumps. Sicce also makes the tunze pumps for those of you who didn't know that. Askoll pumps are better than all of the above. Just an fyi.

You know, I'm just as biased as you seem to be against Chinese made stuff but when you consider aquamaxx and jns make some decent stuff in China, I guess I don't really care. I don't really agree the ratios are better on the sicce, it depends entirely on your setup. It's not entirely advantageous to have higher water draw with the same air draw.

After taking apart the pumps, it's not hard to see why the bubbleblaster costs more. It's really pretty striking just how much better built and designed it seems to be. Even the screws and quality of the moldings are better. I mean even just the power plugs and rubber gasket seem a bit nicer.

everybody has their preference. My opinions are just that... "opinions". The BB pumps are not bad by no means and to tell you the truth they're actually pretty damn good. I just prefer the sicce shark pumps.

As you mention it depends on your set up, but generally speaking the skimmers that process a ratio of 2:1 water to air tend to be more stable. Look at the ATI powercones they work great at times that is. In Europe they have many of those compared to North America and the biggest complaint with those is the stability. It either skims or it doesn't, either overflows or it doesn't. They have a ratio of 1:2 ratio water to air. Most pin wheel skimmer tend to aim for a 2:1 ratio and some 1:1 with the former being most common. HTH. I have not owned a Bubble blaster but they were supposed to be designed after the Askoll motor.

You know, I'm just as biased as you seem to be against Chinese made stuff but when you consider aquamaxx and jns make some decent stuff in China, I guess I don't really care. I don't really agree the ratios are better on the sicce, it depends entirely on your setup. It's not entirely advantageous to have higher water draw with the same air draw.

After taking apart the pumps, it's not hard to see why the bubbleblaster costs more. It's really pretty striking just how much better built and designed it seems to be. Even the screws and quality of the moldings are better. I mean even just the power plugs and rubber gasket seem a bit nicer.

Back