Ocean Clear Filter

JByrd

I'm looking at an Ocean Clear filter and am looking for some input from anyone that uses or had one and their thoughts on them. I tried the search function but it doesn't work.

Running two in tandem on my 125 with a little giant 4 pump on a closed loop system - 1st filter has the 25 micron filter and pressure gauge, 2nd i was going to use for carbon, GFO etc [ this was prior to the availability of TLF reactors or other mfg's] ... may change that up to having the rough filter foam grids in the 1st and the micron filter with carbon in a filter bag inside of the 25 micron filter. Keeps the tank very clean, take it out every so often to spray off the gunk and replace it once a year ($45). My LFS has been unable to get the lid o-ring but it is still available from online retailers.

Last edited:
I ran one in the late 1980's (on a 210 gallon Oceanic) with a pleated cartridge and carbon in a bag in stage one and ceramic media with an air pump in the stage two trickle filter (interesting set up, and seemed to work okay until I deployed overseas for a year and a half and the housesitter, well...blew off cleaning it).
Little Giant 3MDSC powered. Good power/pressure filter. I later (2001) converted the 210 to a freshwater Amazon setup and the plants and fish all seemed to love it for many years. I ran my 180 reef at the time with a sump etc setup. I finally took it out of service when I shut down my previous house and started up my current 300 in the "new" house in 2013. So it lasted me around 25-30 years.

Maintained by soaking the cartridge in a water/bleach solution in a bucket, rinsing thoroughly, drying, and then putting back into service. Always kept 3 or 4 cartridges on hand. Lubed the o-ring every time I serviced with silicone(a simple finger swipe around a couple times to spread a little bit over the o-ring).

A number of companies sell these still. You can spot a number of them more directly by Google search "Ocean Clear Filter" and then hitting the images tab. Should be able to source parts through some of the vendors listed. The Inland Seas brand may be compatible for O-rings and whatnot, but I'd double check.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Ray

thank-you

thank-you

A number of companies sell these still. You can spot a number of them more directly by Google search "Ocean Clear Filter" and then hitting the images tab. Should be able to source parts through some of the vendors listed. The Inland Seas brand may be compatible for O-rings and whatnot, but I'd double check.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Ray

Ray,
Your absolutely right, some still have them on their shelves - my LFS determined there were two sizes 1/4" and a 5/16"-3/8" one - have to check the original one to make sure - i was told once what size fit which, but have since forgot:headwally:

Back