Oceanic 72.5x18.5x25 Lighting Options

beetlejuice

I am looking at buying a Current Outer Orbit HQI/T5 HO 72" 3x250W 10K HQI system for my tank. I will be keeping predominately SPS up high and LPS in the middle to bottom of my tank. There will be very few soft corals, if any.

With that said, can I run the 3x150w or should I be using the 3x250w? If I remember correctly, when HQI first came out, the claim was that a 150 HQI was equal to a 250w Mogul base and 250 HQI was equal to a 400w mogul base.

Where the tank is deep, 25 inches, I am concerned about light penetration. The lower amperage of the 150w, 6.8 versus 9.4 in the 250w version, coupled with the costs of running it and the heat given off has me considering the 150w.

This light will be a few inches off the water if I use the leg mounts or at most, 8" if I mount it to the top of my canopy.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Anyone? In addition, considering this will be in a canopy, would you recommend a different light due to heat and/or weight or would you recommend this Current light?

I'm committing to 250's. My question to you is what do you recommend I run as a 3x250 setup? HQIs, Moguls? Complete hood system, retrofits? I will likely go 20k, but what bulb?

Back