Oceanic reef ready questions

cephalopoder

Premium Member
Hi
I am setting up a 70 gallon oceanic reef ready system this weekend. I have not picked up the tank yet and need to know what the over flow kit comes with for hose barbs that plumb the return line to the sump. I am building my own sump and I am not sure what exactly the overflow kit comes with that is provided with the reef ready tank.
Thanks.

The two kits for my 225 came with the following.

1" Bulkhead Assembly (Includes: Bulkhead, Washer, & Nut)
3/4" Bulkhead Assembly (Includes: Bulkhead, Washer, & Nut)
3/4" Universal Bulkhead Assembly (Includes: Bulkhead, Washer, & Nut)
Adjustable Drain Pipe
Drain pipe base
Air Intake Elbow
90 degree Elbow
Strainer
Return Pipe
3/4" Elbow
Nozzle
Universal Bulkhead Wrench.

If you use the standard bulkheads, the overflow ends in a 1 1/4 inch hosebard and the return has a 3/4 inch hosebarb. I found that what was labeled as 1 1/4 ID spaflex at the local hardware store was actually closer to 1 3/8 inches. I would suggest that you take the bulkheads with you when you buy the piping. Congrats on your new tank :D .

Bill

Thanks, So are the hose barbs included in the overflow kit or do I need to buy a 3/4" hose barb and a 1 1/4" hose barb to plug into the bulkheads under the tank? Are the bulkheads slip it threaded?

If the kit bulkheads have the hose barbs molded into them I would toss them and get normal bulhkeads. Then you can use standard PVC connectors and get better flow.

The kit will have a 1" bulkhead with slip fittings, and a 3/4" bulkhead with slip fittings. The kit also has a 1" slip to barb adapter, and a 3/4" slip to barb adapter.

So, if you are using hose for your outflow and inflow, you glue the barb adapters into the bulkheads. If you are using PVC pipe, you can glue it straight into the bulkheads. Or you can use heavy duty schedual 80 PVC bulkheads instead of the lighter duty bulkheads Oceanic will provide. Just make sure the bulkheads will fit the penetration holes that are in the tank before you buy them. I've never had a problem with the type bulkheads that come with the Oceanic/All-glass OF kit, myself.

I just bought a 58g Reef Ready and got an overflow kit. Here is what I did:

Threw out the drain bulkhead (larger ones) and bought a slipxslip bulkhead from www.aquaticeco.com then I used everything else it came with. My return pump uses a 3/4" vinyl hose so I connected that to the pump with plastic clamps and connected the other end to the bulkhead with the 3/4" barb on it with a hose clamp.

Very easy and no worries of plumbing leaks at the return bulkhead.

Mike

Back