October 2010 Tank of the Month

thank you....yes, alkalinity is 5,4-5,8, why do you find it strange? :)

I just haven't seen that low dKH before. I'm running between 8-9 dKH in mine. I learned through a few good articles that the recommendation is between 7-11 dKH (2.5-4 meq/l). Aparently, you're doing everything right, so what are your thoughts on alkalinity levels when it comes to SPS success?

Beautiful tank and congratulations! Well deserved!

I just haven't seen that low dKH before. I'm running between 8-9 dKH in mine. I learned through a few good articles that the recommendation is between 7-11 dKH (2.5-4 meq/l). Aparently, you're doing everything right, so what are your thoughts on alkalinity levels when it comes to SPS success?

He is running zeo which from my knowledge is best run with low alk levels.

Beautiful! Do you have any pictures with the aquascaping? I am interested on how you positioned your powerheads. Amazing reef though!! Congrats!

-Chris

Luca. Congratulations.
Another beautiful tank from Italy.

One question:
How old is this tank?
Sorry if I misread it.

Hi ching, thanks a lot, the tank is nearly 3 years old.....still young, i think will improve a lot in the next cuople of years ;)

as James 404 said i'm using zeolite and the low Kh in a consequence of that......consider that i like to keep Ca level quiet low (410-430) as i cuold notice more brillant colors that way and with such Ca Kh should be around 6,5 - 7 anyway.....and the zeo does the rest ;)

but corals grow fine anyway, i've seen beautiful tanks here in Italy with Kh 4,5 and perfect colors and growing rates....

[

Bravo Luca

Absolutely stunning.
Grazie amico .)
Beautiful tank and congratulations! Well deserved!
thanks a lot :)
Beautiful! Do you have any pictures with the aquascaping? I am interested on how you positioned your powerheads. Amazing reef though!! Congrats!

-Chris
hi chris, unfortunately i haven't as the aquascape is a result of many changes during the life of the tank.....if you wuold seea picture of 2 years ago you would't recognise it :)
the position of the powerheads is quiet simple....all on the backglass folwing diagonal towards the frontglass......a part of one in the corner of the overflow box

...but, if i can give you a suggestion, everybody has to find his own optimal position of the powerheads, each tank is different and has different requirements......so forget the rules in this case and try hard :)

as James 404 said i'm using zeolite and the low Kh in a consequence of that......consider that i like to keep Ca level quiet low (410-430) as i cuold notice more brillant colors that way and with such Ca Kh should be around 6,5 - 7 anyway.....and the zeo does the rest ;)

but corals grow fine anyway, i've seen beautiful tanks here in Italy with Kh 4,5 and perfect colors and growing rates....

thanks for sharing. i'm still learning, and it's so great to continually learn from others, especially experienced reefers like yourself. i find it very rewarding to see other people's success, it's a real inspiration. i keep telling myself... maybe one day.

Last edited:
Totm

Totm

Hello and congrats on your tank of the month which is extremely beautiful. I have a question and a couple comments. Please do not take this as an attack or anything like that. This is purely for discussion and educational purposes.
In regards to your feeding of fish and corals, you state very matter of factly that corals do not need to be fed. This could be very misleading to the average or beginner hobbyist that will look to your tank and your TOTM article for inspiration or guidance. Also, I think most Marine Biologists with coral knowledge would also disagree with this sentiment. While SPS may have good color and will survive without much feeding. It is clear that the overall growth rate and color is improved with various SPS suitable foods such as Rotifers, baby Brine Shrimp, and the myriad of other plankton and micro plankton commercial foods available.
I do realize that they are getting some of the bacteria that you are furiously shaking off the Zeolith media multiple times a day. But like anything, variety is the spice of life. I'd love to know what Zeovit would say about multiple, daily, vigorous agitations of the media. Many will say the proof is in the pudding and most would be offended and strike back to what I am saying here. But to this I would respond that just because you are doing things a certain way it does not necessarily follow that your success with your tank is a direct result of some of these details but more of your general husbandry practices of weekly water changes and strong wet skimming etc.
The other thing I'd like to mention is that most fish will not get into breeding or near wild (thick and spawning) condition on a diet of spirulina flakes and freeze dried brine. Especially in a tank smaller than yours. The amount of live rock and the total system volume will help get them other foods that they need (amphipods, copepods, algae, etc.) and to that effect your fish appear healthy. But for someone who will want to emulate your practices should know that marine fish need multiple feedings of a diverse mixture of foods daily for them to truly thrive. This is not opinion but a fact that anyone who has successfully bred and reared fish will tell you.
To keep thriving animals. Which in my opinion, is the ultimate responsibility of the aquarist who has taken animals from the wild for their personal enjoyment. Another comment that will cause people to cringe I'm sure. I assure you I'm no PETA member nor do I like Snorkel Bob and the so called sea shepherds and all that. I just want to encourage responsible and conscientious reef keeping like Fenner, Sprung, Delbeek, Borneman etc. who have dedicated to their lives in the education and advancement of our precious hobby.

Hello and congrats on your tank of the month which is extremely beautiful. I have a question and a couple comments. Please do not take this as an attack or anything like that. This is purely for discussion and educational purposes.
In regards to your feeding of fish and corals, you state very matter of factly that corals do not need to be fed. This could be very misleading to the average or beginner hobbyist that will look to your tank and your TOTM article for inspiration or guidance. Also, I think most Marine Biologists with coral knowledge would also disagree with this sentiment. While SPS may have good color and will survive without much feeding. It is clear that the overall growth rate and color is improved with various SPS suitable foods such as Rotifers, baby Brine Shrimp, and the myriad of other plankton and micro plankton commercial foods available.
I do realize that they are getting some of the bacteria that you are furiously shaking off the Zeolith media multiple times a day. But like anything, variety is the spice of life. I'd love to know what Zeovit would say about multiple, daily, vigorous agitations of the media. Many will say the proof is in the pudding and most would be offended and strike back to what I am saying here. But to this I would respond that just because you are doing things a certain way it does not necessarily follow that your success with your tank is a direct result of some of these details but more of your general husbandry practices of weekly water changes and strong wet skimming etc.
The other thing I'd like to mention is that most fish will not get into breeding or near wild (thick and spawning) condition on a diet of spirulina flakes and freeze dried brine. Especially in a tank smaller than yours. The amount of live rock and the total system volume will help get them other foods that they need (amphipods, copepods, algae, etc.) and to that effect your fish appear healthy. But for someone who will want to emulate your practices should know that marine fish need multiple feedings of a diverse mixture of foods daily for them to truly thrive. This is not opinion but a fact that anyone who has successfully bred and reared fish will tell you.
To keep thriving animals. Which in my opinion, is the ultimate responsibility of the aquarist who has taken animals from the wild for their personal enjoyment. Another comment that will cause people to cringe I'm sure. I assure you I'm no PETA member nor do I like Snorkel Bob and the so called sea shepherds and all that. I just want to encourage responsible and conscientious reef keeping like Fenner, Sprung, Delbeek, Borneman etc. who have dedicated to their lives in the education and advancement of our precious hobby.

dear friend i surely agree with what you are saying and i apologise if the message given by my article can be wrong......but i have just tried to describe as realisticly as possible what im doing and i don't thik i've ever said this is the miracolous way to get the results........this is my tank, i like how it is and i'm happy to share with anyone is interested my experiences about it.......and that's all

dear friend i surely agree with what you are saying and i apologise if the message given by my article can be wrong......but i have just tried to describe as realisticly as possible what im doing and i don't thik i've ever said this is the miracolous way to get the results........this is my tank, i like how it is and i'm happy to share with anyone is interested my experiences about it.......and that's all

Truly agree. Seeing is believing.
Sometimes experience is more important than the theory.

Back