Odd Alk and Calc ratio

cincyjim

My Alk dosing is 120ml a day. I dose 60ml at 00:25 and another 60ml at 2:20am. My Alk reading is 7.446 (Hanna). My calc is dosed at 40ml at 3:30am and it reads at 440 (Salifert). I dose Mag at 55ml at 11:30pm which gives me a solid 1500 reading (Salifert). I use Kent (liquid) for the Alk, Calc, and Mag. I'm getting concerned that the ratio of the two is too great. As far as corals go, I have a number of SPS, some softies, and a couple of anemones. The tank is 150g and has been running since April 2017. This tank is an upgrade tank of which all my rock (about 85lbs) came from my previous 75g that had been setup for 6 years plus another 85lbs of TBS rock that was added during setup. Any ideas... should I be concerned?

Thanks,
Jim

That doesn't seem excessive for a 2 year old grown-in 150g tank at all. My old 29g biocube used ~40-45mL of each part daily when it was packed with corals. I found that I only had to dose 1/2 as much ESV 2 part as the BRS 2 part, so my dosing went down to ~20-25mL/day when I switched to ESV.

Excessive dosing in a 150 gallon tank would be somewhere in the ~250ml/day range for a medium stocked tank, but it all depends on what 2 part you're dosing, and what your tank inhabitants are.

Thanks. I guess I always had the impression that 2 part alk and calc should match in equal parts or pretty close to it. I use Kent Marine Pro Buffer, Calcium, and Magnesium.

I just started two part dosing for simplicity.

I just started two part dosing for simplicity.

I am having odd drops.

In 24 hrs, I dropped using Hanna Alk fro 10.5 to 9.4 and CA (salifert) drops from 500 to 470.

I has shut it down to get things a little lower.

Is this significant of a drop normal for a 250G system with sps and large LPS?

A tank can consume 2-3 dKH per day, in my experience. I am not sure how much supplement your tank was getting, but I'd probably measure and dose by hand for a few days to get a trend line.

Back