Odysea MH mod any one?

marioensf

I'm kind of into downgrading the "250W" MH in this fixture for a 175W is it just an easy swap of the socket/holder? I would use the stock ballasts while I get some nice IceCap or CoralVue since the stock ones are underpowered seems I think handling 175W be piece of cake.

Thanks

sfsuphysics

Well you could could cram a 175w bulb in there, however isn't the Odyssea fixture a double ended bulb? 175w is only a mogul socket.

And I'm fairly sure you can't use a 250w ballast to fire a 175w bulb as it is.

marioensf

The stock ballasts put out around 170W so I read on RC, there are some HQI in 175W but 150s will do OK I think I have no SPS so it will be more for the shimmer, I might go down to T5´s to save energy
I´ll do research on 175W DE.

Thanks!

sfsuphysics

They put out 170w yet are able to fire a 250w bulb? Wow.

Talk about your cheap knockoffs, as guess the upside is your bulbs should last longer :D

marioensf

Seems like they do not have the real output, been reading on one of the looooooong threads about Odysea and people state they are underpowered; have a giesemann 250W 20K installed and is not as bright compared to the stock ones, I'm going to change the socket and put a 150W 14 or 15K
I have no equipment to test the wattage ballasts generate so I credit some of the posts about this brand, had a couple of IceCap ballasts 250 but sent them over to Mexico to some fellow reefers so I'm using the stock ones.

sfsuphysics

I still don't believe that the 150w will fire with that ballast, regardless of how underpowered it is. HOWEVER, I'm not sure, you might just want to try a junky bulb first (I'm sure someone would give you one that they swapped out) before putting a nice $60-$80 bulb in there you could potentially ruin.

marioensf

There's a HUUUUUUGE thread about the new fixture, the actual output of the ballasts is stated to be 160W !!
So I think there should be no big issue trying a 150W HQI this is one quote...
But I will try to get a donor HQI bulb first to test it.
They (aquatraders) state their fixtures to have 250W bulbs/e-ballasts but then again THEIR bulbs, the Giesemann I have looks dull, like a 70W, not even a 150 I'd say T5's would be brighter than the actual bulb I have. i sent my IceCap ballasts to Mexico so I have to work something out.

Originally posted by SpencerG
Does the glass cover on the MH part of the Odyssea fixture filter UV?

Is it true that the stock ballast puts out only 160 watts? If so, can y'all recommend an affordable, plug and play upgrade?

glass covers act as a UV filter on MH bulbs = yes

160 w per ballast = yes

Coralvue and Icecap make affordable ballasts (about $90 apiece) but they have to be spliced in - although that is VERY easy to do

scuzy

i don't i would just put in a icecap ballasts and you're all set. you can then fireup 250watt bulbs and look really bright. The fixture needed a ballast upgrade.