Odyssea CFS4 Canister Filter Good or trash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have zero experience with this particular piece of equipment, but in general Odyssea = Junk, doesn't matter about the equipment it's usually all crap.

I wouldn't recommend a cannister filter for any tank, but I really would not recommend any products made by the "Odyssea" (formerly Jebo) name brand, it really is a crap shoot if you get a product that works as advertised, or not. But if you want to risk it all in the name of saving a buck, then far be it for me to shy you away, and yes I realized you were given it (probably for good reason *laugh*) FYI they don't match their website prices if you go into buy it directly from their store front.

P.S. don't even think about buying any fish from Aquatraders.

i use an odysea uv sterilizer and it works great...i realized a sterilizer is nothing but a uv bulb and a tube,doesnt matter what brand it is.....to tell you the truth i think some oddysea stuff is fine,of course if you have the money its better to buy other higher quality stuff,but for those on a budget,some of their stuff is just fine....the things by them that you shouldnt buy would be their tanks,livestock,heaters and their hallide systems...i had their pc unit and it was great....dont always believe the hype of how bad products are,the canister filter should be fine....

why everyone *****es about Odyssea, and they bring the "burn your house down" crap... I have only seen one person that had a faulty PC fixture that shorted the wires and burned, but no other damage has been seen, I do agree that Odyssea is low quality, but so are others, most stuff is made in china this days, why because is cheap labor, so large companies take their products there. I seen other people having problems with all types of stuff, but since they are not cheap in price, nobody bring the product down. I have several items from Odyssea, and I had owned several items, and I only had a defective UV sterilizer housing, and it was my fault because I broke it, even after the careful warning from Aquatraders.

so do us all a favor... QUIT your *****ING!! and don't buy if you don't like it, period.

We need to inform fellow reefer dont cut corner in this hobby. This I repeat is not a cheap hobby and care must be given to the animals that we house in our reefs. We should not patronage companys/LFS who don give a sh_t and just want to make a quick buck or reefers who chop shop corals or kills animals who dont know how to care for them.

I have that canister filter. I've been using it one a 10 gallon freshwater shrimp tank for over a year now. Before I had it on a 50 gallon planted tank for more than a year. I've heard one problem of that canister leaking but have never had a problem myself. I have thousands of dollars of crystal red shrimp in the tank and would not use this canister if I felt it was unsafe for them. I however would not use jebo lighting with/out checking the wires or for metal halides replacing the ballasts first (I don't have any jebo lights). Marw99 do you have any experience with this specific filter? If so please share it.

i have a jebo chiller for 3 year now.not a single problem.i open it to clean it up.the compressor make in japan tho.Hell if i knew what i knew now,i wouldn't be in this stupid expensive addicting hobby in the first place.oh well ,too late now.Anybody want to buy a perfectly good tank?:)

lapsan

I've read many a times about the lights catching on fire.. just search here on RC...

As for canisters, I wouldn't recommend cansiters for full reefs unless your going to make a dedicated effort to always keep that thing clean.. they're notorious for housing extra nutrients if not kept in check...

as for aquatraders stuff.. I've been there numerous times... I wouldn't really buy there tanks ( looks like bad seals, lights, skimmers etc.... )... I'd rather pay what your supposed to for KNOWN commodities that are reliable and do what they are advertised to do...

just my .02, you get what you pay for.

Im not about to start on the way they handle livestock there and the quality those stuff are being put in.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10467677#post10467677 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by marw99
We need to inform fellow reefer dont cut corner in this hobby. This I repeat is not a cheap hobby and care must be given to the animals that we house in our reefs. We should not patronage companys/LFS who don give a sh_t and just want to make a quick buck or reefers who chop shop corals or kills animals who dont know how to care for them.
Agreed.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10467677#post10467677 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by marw99

hey, you must be a millionare then, because I always seen people trying to get stuff cheaper, because; yes this is an expensive hobby, but just because is expensive, you don't have to mortgage you home to buy equipment.

hundred of people but Jebo and Odyssea, and some have excellent results, some don't. my tank is a 75g Glass JEBO bowfront seamless, and I always get complements on it, do I have problems with it? NO, my 2 sets of dual 250w MH lights are Odyssea, and I don't have problems with it, but I did upgrade the ballast on both. and my past tanks ( I had 4) there were also Jebo/Odyssea, and I never had any problem, I had their early skimmers, now people mod them and get great results.

and the deal you get, even after you upgrade anything, you still well below the cost of other brands, and get same or better results... Just read the almost 200 pages about the new MH fixture, and you'll see that alot of RC members are now happy... I know I am.

this sound like PETCO & PETSMART....

oh, BTW; the care of Animals and corals have nothing to do on how much you spend, just because you buy a $5000 tank or a $3000 light fixture (hmmm, SOLARIS) , is does not make you a better reefer.

and also, SOLARIS fixture, you know the $3000 fixture.. few people have reported that the ballast burned, and if you search on line, one person indicated that it melted the wires...

I just dont get the idea of buying something cheap, spending more money to get better parts for it and moding it.. just to get it to work up to par with better brands or supposdly work better than the top of the line stuff out there.... puzzles me... I'm on the buy it set it and forget it.

Neither do I get people who spend $$$$ on corals and fish yet SKIMP out on equipment and other stuff... very puzzling...:hmm2:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10468357#post10468357 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by delsol650
I just dont get the idea of buying something cheap, spending more money to get better parts for it and moding it.. just to get it to work up to par with better brands or supposdly work better than the top of the line stuff out there.... puzzles me... I'm on the buy it set it and forget it.

Neither do I get people who spend $$$$ on corals and fish yet SKIMP out on equipment and other stuff... very puzzling...:hmm2:

well, when you consider a similar fixture...

lets say the coralife aqualight, new it retails for $900+, and it has exactly the same housing, legs, celing mount, etc. except, ballast and PC bulbs, now the Odyssea retails for $380, then you add 2 new ballast, let's say; IceCap or CoralVue, each is $100, now the fixture is $580, well if you did like me and sell the Odyssea ballast on ebay, you can recover about $100-150 for the pair. so you are back down at about $400-450, and even if you didn't sell the ballast, you can still use the $400 difference on other equipment.

now I don't own a DELTEC like you, or work for a BIOSCIENCE Lab, so I can't afford a $1000 skimmer, so I do away with a Euroreef, not the same but I get good results.

is like just because you can afford an AMG Benz, and I can do a Ford or Chevy, well still a car, still gets me places, and I can mod both to make them just as fast, or fun or both.

it comes to this, if you are handy, and have a brain and can clearly see the posibility of saving some $$,by getting equipment that has potential, the go ahead, but if you can tell the difference between a corless screwdriver and a drill, then buy the premium stuff, already made.... maybe since some people here are so rich, they should hire some of us poor people to take care of their tanks...:rolleye1:

Wow. spitefull arent we...

FYI- I live month to month as well... not rich either... just saved for years thats it... I did not pay close to a " G " either... I just figure If I have a Ferrari already why use knockoff tires and try to go 200 MPH with it.. Or why buy a honda spend 80K on it and say its better than a lambo/porsche.

I am handy and have a brain like most people here on RC. I just figure I already spend enough time and money on this HOBBY why spend more time on INFERIOR equipment and modding just to make it work like it supposed to...

FYI- I sold my other car JUST to be able to afford and get back in to this hobby. what I spend with is the residual of what I had left over from selling my car.

and with an attitude like that most wouldn't hire you either... :lol:
J/K had to put that out there.. hahahha

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10468528#post10468528 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by delsol650
Wow. spitefull arent we...

and with an attitude like that most wouldn't hire you either... :lol:
J/K had to put that out there.. hahahha

attitude? what's that?

I knew I had to fix something... to get hired :lol:

Ok before people put words in my mouth.. too late...

I'm not saying all Odyssea/Jebo stuff is crap, a lot of it is, but a lot is as mentioned, standard stuff. I've seen people buy from aquatraders and get burned either by damaged goods, or prematurely dying of electronics, doesn't mean everything is that way.

Yes lots of it is made in china, most things are, however you have to realize Chinese made does not mean it's all the same quality, the reason why the Odyssea stuff is cheaper is because they request cheaper stuff.

Also I never said money = quality, only a fool wood. Yes this is an expensive hobby, yes people do try to cut corners and save bucks here and there (I'm one of them), however a lot of it comes down to how much are you really saving, in the long run. If your pump dies, and you need to buy another, sure it was 1/2 the cost of "brand X" but you just paid the same of brand X for buying two pumps.

And Lapsan, what the heck are you buying a chiller for, you live in SF :D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10470016#post10470016 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sfsuphysics
Ok before people put words in my mouth.. too late...

I'm not saying all Odyssea/Jebo stuff is crap, a lot of it is, but a lot is as mentioned, standard stuff. I've seen people buy from aquatraders and get burned either by damaged goods, or prematurely dying of electronics, doesn't mean everything is that way.

Yes lots of it is made in china, most things are, however you have to realize Chinese made does not mean it's all the same quality, the reason why the Odyssea stuff is cheaper is because they request cheaper stuff.

Also I never said money = quality, only a fool wood. Yes this is an expensive hobby, yes people do try to cut corners and save bucks here and there (I'm one of them), however a lot of it comes down to how much are you really saving, in the long run. If your pump dies, and you need to buy another, sure it was 1/2 the cost of "brand X" but you just paid the same of brand X for buying two pumps.

And Lapsan, what the heck are you buying a chiller for, you live in SF :D

yes, I do agree, some stuff they sell is garbage, but not all... the filters are ok, I had 2 canister back when I had Fresh water, and they still work, my friend has them now.

and i also agree on the pump part, but the example I give for the MH fixture is true, you do save money, and i do have few of the pumps, and they work great, I did had to replace two QuietOne 4000 that had problems starting, and the cheap $10 as-is from Aquatraders work! and they move about 800g/hr, I try to get warranty o the QuietOnes, and it was a problem, Dr. Foster didn't help, and i purchased both there, and it was before 6mos. and the Mfg didn't ever responded. so i needed a replacement pump fast and i had no $$, so I bough 2 of the $10 as-is for my main tank, well... long story short I still have them, and every other pump froze when I overrun my calcium reactor and all the shafts on my Maxijets, and UV sterilizer stoped, but my main ODYSSEA $10 pump, save my tank, unitl I cleaned all w/vinager

oh, BTW. Lapsan need the chiller in SF, because he's tank houses ALASKA'n KING CRAB :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back