# of Fish????

Jhigga15

Hello,
I have a 14G Bio Cube, small reef...

Should I have 1 fish per ever 5 gallons or 1inch of fish for each gallon?

So I can have 2 Fish in the Bio Cube or around 5, 2 inch fish?

Also do shrimp and star fish count in the inch count?
Thanks.

The inches of fish per gallon rules don't work. I might put two small fish in that size tank.

The shrimp and starfish have low enough metabolic rates that I doubt they'll add much to the load.

I don't think inverts count. I think the more fish you try and have, the more algae you're gonna see. I'd check with the guys on the nanotank forum for more informed answers.

Bertoni said it perfectly, 2 small fish.

just FYI, add starfish with caution, that's an awful small tank for most starfish, many are also not reef safe, and LFS's are notorious for selling sandsifting starfish (do not put one of these in your tank please.) As for the bioload from the other inverts, usually not an issue.

i have 2 clowns, a firefish, and a small damsel in my 14g biocube and there doesn't seem to be much of a problem... i was advised to keep it to 4 or less...

Do an internet search for: "Fish Stocking Guide For Nano Reefs" and this will provide you with a rough but reasonable guide. Take particular note of what it says about the BioCubes. With a shrimp and/or a starfish added, two would be the limit on fish. Good Luck!

only 2 fish

only 2 fish

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12238360#post12238360 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bertoni
The inches of fish per gallon rules don't work. I might put two small fish in that size tank.

The shrimp and starfish have low enough metabolic rates that I doubt they'll add much to the load.

yes i agree totally just try a pair of clowns i wouldnt even consider more :rollface:

The sand-sifting starfish will starve to death over a period of months or so. They can't get enough food in tanks anywhere near that size.

plenty of small fish that would work like little gobies, cardinals, anemonefish, small hawkfish (falcos, or dwarf/pixie are pretty docile IME), etc. I would consider how big the fish will get at full size, but for the most part no matter what I wouldn't put more than 3 fish in there especially if you plan on any sensitive inverts like coral who would do better with a lower bioload. Be careful with starfish like eveyone said. They are sensitive to fluctuations in water quality, temp, salinity, etc.

Back