offered to transfer

My employer wants me to transfer to Clearwater FL.
If you know me, I research everything thoroughly.
All personal experiences / input regarding this particular area (and Florida in general) appreciated.
Ya... we all know Disney is there and it's hot and humid.
What about oddball pros and cons?

Did anyone else see the recent report regarding retiring in NY state?

That's supposed to be a phenomenal area Gary. I don't think I've ever heard anything bad about Clearwater/St Pete. Vague, but that's all I got. I think they get a touch less snow than we do. Gotta fact check that one....:rolleyes:

Are they paying to relocate you? Housing and expenses on moving your stuff? Moving that tank isn't going to be cheap. But I guess I could house all your coral for you. I'd do that for you.

Clear water is beautiful. St Petersburg might be one of the nicest places I've been in the US. Great people. Lots of folks from WNY in that area. I'm mean tons! And reef shops are awesome too. Spent months there. Hop 45 mins or so from siesta key. One of top beaches in the world.

There are some odd areas. Alcoholism and drug issues in the outer areas parts of Sarasota and Bradenton. Health care and Distribution of wealth is odd in those areas too. Not uncommon to see multi million dollar home gated communities right next to trailer parks. But clear water and st Petersburg are kind of in a bubble.

My aunt and uncle (aged 50 or so) have lived down in Florida (east coast) for 20 years or more. They hate the weather. There's only a few months of the year when it's bearable to be outside. Otherwise it's so hot that you don't want to be outside. As soon as they retire they're moving north.

I have grandparents who lived in Bradenton (just south of st Pete) and they moved due to a worsening gang problem. Last I heard the gangs were spreading but I don't know how bad into Clearwater they are.

Clearwater and St Pete are amazing to visit. I'm actually entertaining a position that would relocate me to Tampa within the next few months. I'm headed down there are the end of the month to scope things out and find out more.

I'm going to follow along here to see what you learn :)

F- NY , if you don't have a need to live here ... grandfather did the snowbird routine , we did the timeshare growing up. my neighbor is trying to move back to florida. i enjoyed it. rochester isn't getting getting better , went to irondequoit yesterday . might as well live in detroit.

Landscaping always looks nice, gas prices are about the same as here. Florida has the second highest lighting strikes in the world, also lots of tornadoes. Sink holes did I mention sink holes they happen all the time in Florida. Tons of child predators and a poor educational system. From my experience lived there before we had kids, and would live there again even with all that said if we didn't have kids.

Do you look good in shorts Gary? How are the calf muscles?

Why not relocate to Hawaii? Ferrari's don't cost what they used to, and I'm sure you can pal up with an African American helicopter pilot.

Do you look good in shorts Gary? How are the calf muscles?

Why not relocate to Hawaii? Ferrari's don't cost what they used to, and I'm sure you can pal up with an African American helicopter pilot.

magnum-pi-tom-selleck.jpg

I grew up in Clearwater/Tampa Bay area. I was just there a few months ago and I love it. Lots to do including the Florida aquarium in Tampa which is about 20 minutes from Clearwater iirc.

I hope you like the outdoors, heat, humidity and fishing!

thanks for all of the input so far

thanks for all of the input so far

yes yes...I get it: I'm a good looking private investigator :fun4:

Family makes this kind of move a challenge. Nobody wants to be away from family and friends. Reef Aquariums make this kind of move a challenge, too!

Back