office tank...what would you do

RMR, nice, what kind of light are you using over that. My hope is if its something that small it would be more likely to go unoticed but daily topoffs would be a challenge. I might have to cover it on the weekends but just be sure there's enough air exchange at the surface.

Annick, LOL, that's great. Its hard to believe its already been a year. More cake please.

My cube is in the corner of the building but the maintenance guy is fairly tall and he'd be able to see over into my space. I'm thinking of using something to block the view and add a plant for safe measure. Reminds me of being a kid and devising all sorts of plans to hide my pet snakes and mice from my Mom.

things are going well here. Hard to believe our kids are now 8 and 5. Tyler was 1 when I attended my first CTARs meeting at Wesleyen. I don't recall him looking quite as messy as yours though on his first. LOL. Probably because my wife is OCD and if I recall she was wiping their faces after every bite. By the time I'd go for the camera they were all cleaned up.

Mario, I agree on the management concerns. I'll ask my boss just to be safe and then make sure the tank is small enough that if I do need to remove it its fairly easy.

Leslie, did you tell them the corals were for cancer research? That might have helped you out...LOL How have things been? I heard you might be moving across the river? Tank move...

Ha! I could tell them that I make my own green fluorescent protein . . .
I'm already across the river - they don't have labs in New London, only offices so hopefully I won't have to move the tank anytime soon. I've been pretty lucky in this latest upheaval and it hasn't affected me much yet although it IS affecting a lot of the people I work with. Change is good, right? With all the stress around here I get a lot of people coming by just to gaze into the tank and chill for a bit. I've been told that my office mate and I have the coolest office around - we keep the overhead lights off and my partner has a regular lamp on his desk and I have a string of hot pink flamingo lights draped across my desk. We need love beads and a lava lamp . . .

i am using a dual satelite fixture. i think its 2x18 W. 2 swithes. on for actinic one for day light.

fill a milk jug with fresh ro water and just keep it under the desk. that will get you through most part of the week if not the whole week.

u can leave it over the weekend without a problem i used to leave almost everyweekend in the summer and had no problems. just when i came back, i would add water and check the salt level. and dose just a little bit because of all those corals. :cool:

i should prolly mention i ripped that tank down because i lost track of time it got filthy. i moved everyhting into the big DT and now it all sits in there. the 3 gal is just water and rock in a filthy tank. havent had time to do anythign with it.

I can't believe how easy the water changes are vs. those for my 55G. I also ordered a glass top for mine which I put on for long weekends - it seems to be ok for just Sat. & Sun. I will have to pop in over Xmas break to check on it though. Like RMR RaC3R, I keep top off water in a jug under the desk. I don't drip my Kalk, but because I'm sitting right here, I pour a little in a few times each day and haven't seen any adverse effects from that.

Leslie, good to hear no moves are needed. I know I could count on all the employees being interested in the tank, just the maintenance group for the building would be the challenge.

Is the drinking water (Poland spring) that gets delivered regular RO water? There's plenty of that to be had at work. I could just claim I'm drinking more water for the health benefits.

RMR, the dual sattelite fixture sounds like a good option.

I don't know if Poland Spring is RO/DI - you should look closely at a Poland Spring label in a store or call the company if it isn't clearly stated.

I think it is right from the spring

It's not that easy. :D Once the spring hits air, it's no longer spring water, it's surface water. If you drill underground to catch it before breaches the surface, then it's well water. There was a huge lawsuit some years ago about it, and the result was the agreement that they disagreed.

But does P.S. water have a 0 TDS reading? I think that is all that really matters. I mean, there could be some uranium in there, but we don't test for it, so we don't know. There could be uranium in my well water, but we don't test for it, so we don't know. And what we don't know can't hurt us, right? :bigeyes:

But do you (or your fish) glow at night after the lights go out? I live near a nuclear plant so I figure that I must have a bit of a scintillant glow about me . . .

But do you (or your fish) glow at night after the lights go out? I live near a nuclear plant so I figure that I must have a bit of a scintillant glow about me . . .

Your lights go out at night? Uh oh, I might have an issue. :lol:

If they only use UV light it should have TDS. I just looked it up and it does have some. Listed as 35-67 TDS.

Ouch. There is the answer that matters then...

Back