Official St. Jude Children's Hospital Tank Thread.

Rendos

This is the official thread to follow.
All progress on the St. Jude tanks will be posted here along with the page on our club website.
WTMRAC's St. Jude Project.

Thanks to all of those individuals who have helped so far, and thanks to those companies who are supporting us in this endeavor.

AirWaterIce.com - donated a 100 GPD RO/DI unit
DigitalAquatics.com - donated a Reef Keeper I controller
Kermit's Reef - various donations, and technical and moral support.
Memphis Zoo - adopting the fish from the tanks and giving them a good home.

Here is where we stand...
Tank one has been cleaned...new skimmer is in...about 300 pounds of live rock has been added...180 pounds of live sand...canister filters, UV sterilizers, and Sea-Swirls are running.
Before we started...
65883356-L.jpg

After a good cleaning...
65883334-L.jpg

And now...
72141781-L.jpg

I'll be working on the tank some this weekend. I need to redo some of the plumbing to try and address a microbubble problem.

Update! The lights have been ordered and will be here on the 7th. I'll be taking any coral donations you might have soon. My holding tanks are full currently. So be on the look out for any corals you can frag/give/donate and we'll get them all placed.
Thanks
B

Picture update. The kids at St. Jude are really enjoying their new residents...here are a few pics of the kids watching the fishies...

87077689-M-1.jpg

87077694-M-1.jpg

87077677-M-1.jpg

87077733-M-1.jpg

87077698-L-1.jpg

87077711-M-1.jpg

Do you guy's have a want list for the tanks, corals, fish, whatever or do you have sources for everything you will need?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7928406#post7928406 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by foggy54
Do you guy's have a want list for the tanks, corals, fish, whatever or do you have sources for everything you will need?
Hey Foggy,
We have been getting a lot of our supplies from Kermit's but donations are ALWAYS welcome. I'm currently trying to get corals moved into the tank and have been adding fish as they come. If anyone would like to donate corals please feel free to PM me or e-mail me at barrett.shumaker@stjude.org. Administrators: If this is in violation of the RC rules please let me know or delete this post.

When we were at CBU on Sunday, we met a student from Bolivia who is in Memphis because her little sister has been treated at St. Judes the last two years. I asked her if she had noticed the changes to the fish tank.

Her eyes and face just LIT UP and she said, "OH ... It's wonderful what they've done! We love to go watch the fish when we're there! It just is looking awesome!"

Great job to all who have worked on it. What a great chance to make a difference in someone's life.

St Jude Tank to be featured in Local Line!
Alright, just so everyone has an Idea of what that means... The local line is a little paper published and distributed here on campus. Everyone reads it and has a copy e-mailed to them. The St jude project and our club will be featured in the next issue. I'll try and get copies for anyone interested.

If you need any assistance my Pop can help, his name is John he is in BMC, I think they publish this?? I'll call him and check.

Just talked to my dad and he said he could get us all copies just let him know what you need. Just a suggestion maybe we could place some at Kermitts as hand outs if Dave would let us????

I just stoped in you clubs forum to take a look at the MACNA photos.. I saw this thread and all I can say is you guys seem like a great group of people. Your efforts here make me want to see if I can get our club to take on something like this at one of local area hospitals like our Shriners burn Hospital. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the kind words David. All I can say its that this has been more rewarding than I ever anticipated. I'm there about a hour everyday after lunch talking to kids and parents and they ALL appreciate the escape the tanks offer.

SWEET!! I bet the kids and everyone there are really enjoying those, NICE job on them as well!! It gives them something to enjoy while they are there getting better :D

The second tank is up finally. Has 180# Indo Pacific Live Sand, and 100# of LR donated from Premuim Aquatics. They matched the donation for the first tank. Thanks Guys!
The glass sump that was under the tank got a chip/crack in the side of it so I hade another one out of acrylic hoping to get it up and going. Well, that sump didn't work as planned and will have to be replaced. I'm going to get one from SPAZ at Aquatic Acrylics
since hes been such an inspiration and workhorse on the new tank going into the new Chili's Center.
I've been taking requests from the kids as to what they want in the new tank. I have already got an Emperor Angel for Jordi (your welcome:rollface: ) and caught the scurge of my tank (Vermiculated Angel) and put him in there as well. I finally moved the Yellow tangout of the reef and put her in the "predator reef" because she was picking on the purple tang. Corals are growing out and I'm always looking to add more. If anyone would like to make donations to the St Jude Project, by all means, make them.
Thanks everyone,
B
P.S. I do have pics I just need to post them.
P.P.S. The Chili's center tank is now at 1,500-1,800 G! More to Come.

Back