Oh MY GOD!!! MANTHIS SHRIMP on my Naso tang

enzo54321

Premium Member
PLEASE HELP!!!

This little shrimp is stuck on the dorsal fin of my newly acquired Naso Tang... What do I do? I can't catch it in my reef...
:mad:

ACBlinky

Premium Member
I can't imagine a tiny mantis doing too much damage to a naso, or hanging onto it for that matter. Are you certain what you're seeing is a stomatapod and not some sort of parasite?

downhillbiker

what you have to do is.....grab a nice cold coors light and watch the entertainment. i cant suggest any real solutions, but hopefully nature will take it's course in a favorable way for you, and the shrimp gets unstuck.

serpentman

part time superhero
Highly doubtful its a mantis shrimp. They are ambush predators not likely to hang out in the open, especially not to ride on a fish. My guess is its an isopod.

ArgonDreams

Premium Member
Highly doubtful it's a mantis. There are stomatopod's that can get to the size to take a juvi Naso. However, it's far more likely to be an isopod.

Secondly, if it was a spearer mantis it would be literally be hanging by one arm which most likely would tear off. I don't see a scenario where this would work.

Something like this is an Isopod:

soldierfish-with-isopod.jpg

Or:

thm000045_8790.jpg

Doubtful but here is a spearer rap:

spearerrap.jpg

a Mantis with/spearer:

caldwell_yellow_mantis.jpg

I hope that helps. Again, doubtful if it's a Mantis. But those pics should at least point you in the right direction. Once we know what it is specifically we can help you get it off.

A picture would help a lot.

newb

i miss my mantis it was awsome. smasher this makes me think about getting another one. i can plumb a new tank next to the sump heh. ooh sry just makes me think though RIDEM COWBOY!!! since this is a new TANG i am sure he is in your QT tank so this should not be a problem to deal with. take a pic to find out if its big pod or something you need to treat chemicaly.

Kep

Post a pic? Give me a video! All I have running through my head is the tang swimming around rapidly while the mantis (with a cowboy hat and chaps of course) tries to hold on for 8 seconds. lol

BLKTANG

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12237613#post12237613 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kep
Post a pic? Give me a video! All I have running through my head is the tang swimming around rapidly while the mantis (with a cowboy hat and chaps of course) tries to hold on for 8 seconds. lol

:lol:

myerst2

Please post a pic as i doubt your tang is in trouble if it's swimming. The Mantis would of cracked it's skull and he wouldn't be swimming around!!! Also I would go against the advice of downhillbiker and don't get a coors light as it will taste like cold stale water. Get yourself a real beer or maybe a cocktail. Regards, Tim

ManotheSea

Here we go again?!!!

The threads in 2008 just dont quit. From blue man eating worms (remember that guy who died then came back to life again?) to an Osama Bin Laden sympathizer running a full page ad with photos in RC on Easter weekend ... and now rodeo riding mantis shrimp. Yehaaaa!

HELP ME!!! Someone mail this guy a camera quick! We need a new contest for crazy thread of the month. I personally like the Reef Safe Orca thread. Is that still going?