Oh my god murky water.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15451842#post15451842 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 100%hydrophylic
yea i thought about buying rock from liveaquaria.com... is that considered quality rock? should i get another koralia?

I think you are okay for flow right now. Do you not have an lfs nearby for live rock. I like to pick out the pieces myself and make sure they are really porous and light. That's what you want to support the anerobic bacteria that lives in those pores or crevices.
Real dense rock can only support the anerobic bacteria that change ammonia to nitrates. You want the live rock to hold both bacteria so the nitrogen cycle is completed---ammonia--nitrites--nitrates--nitrogen gas.
Same with base rock(dried rock) I like to pick the pieces of those too so they are the same as above and for the same reasons

If you go slow with your cycling then you should be able to go 40 percent base to 60 per cent live rock and save a good deal of coin.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15451885#post15451885 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 100%hydrophylic
oh yea, sorry i forgot about the back pressure and all that stuff about the sump water flow. in the future would you suggest i get another koralia or something? im probably gonna keep mostly softies maybe some lps. possibly sps when i get a stronger light. so i should just wait this problem out?

corals do not add as much to the bioload as fish do. As your tank becomes more stocked you will need more flow and probably a protein skimmer.

right now and for the next 6-12 weeks your flow is good --just do your water changes every second week and you won't have to worry about adding anything else.

yea im not gonna buy base rock. i thought about buying 90 pounds of standard fiji live rock from livaquaria then putting my 20 pounds or so from my nano reef and then hand pick from my local store. all the stores around me will charge $560 for 100 pounds or so of live rock but i can get 90 on livaquaria for about $300 including ship (i have a protein skimmer)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15451918#post15451918 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 100%hydrophylic
yea im not gonna buy base rock. i thought about buying 90 pounds of standard fiji live rock from livaquaria then putting my 20 pounds or so from my nano reef and then hand pick from my local store. all the stores around me will charge $560 for 100 pounds or so of live rock but i can get 90 on livaquaria for about $300 including ship (i have a protein skimmer)

IMO you get what you pay for.
Why not buy the base rock--40 lbs of it for 50 bucks up here.
That leaves 90-40-20==30 lbs of live rock
Big time saving

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15451937#post15451937 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 100%hydrophylic
where can i get 40 pounds of it for $50?????

check around at the lfs in your area

BTW
have you tried this site for live rock

www.kijiji.com for your area

oh ok... well thank you and all the lfs around ive been to sell base rock for not very much less than live rock so i didnt think it was worth it

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15452078#post15452078 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 100%hydrophylic
oh ok... well thank you and all the lfs around ive been to sell base rock for not very much less than live rock so i didnt think it was worth it

That figures:rolleyes:

I deal almost excusively with www.mops.ca
Its local here --Hamilton ON, but he is a mail order company.
He also has a US site that you can check on the above web site

this is exactly what happend in my tank. I added extra HOB filters along w/ my sump. and nothing. I added 2 damsels... and TAAA DAA! overnight my water was crystal clear

bladeslinger, what? i dont understand what the damsels did lol. i literally cant see farther than 3 inches into my water. hasnt cleared up any over night. maybe a tad. butt anyone else know what the damsels could have done to make the water better? should i try this? is there any science behind that?

Last edited:
my lfs agrees with capn about waiting but they also said maybe add some more supplemental filtration. what could i put in my tank for temporary filtration? i dont want anything expensive....

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15455997#post15455997 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 100%hydrophylic
my lfs agrees with capn about waiting but they also said maybe add some more supplemental filtration. what could i put in my tank for temporary filtration? i dont want anything expensive....

If you add all that power head power you have your tank will probably crystal clear in 48 hours.

I once added sugar fine argonite to an existing tank on the owners request. I beefed up the flow to 5800 gph on their 120gal and it was clear in less then 24 hours

capn to the rescue again lol. the only thing thats worrying me right now is that it doesnt look like theres particles in the water. it just looks like its dyed. on my other aquariums you can all see little things floating in the water when i add sand/substrate. the best i can explane it is watered down soy milk. is that normal? sorry about all the questions >.< im not the most patient person.... might be my downfall one day. im working on it though! i put my hands in my pockets every time i walk past any of my aquariums so i dont fiddle with things. it works half the time

you should check out the few suppliers in fla like tampabay saltwater, floridaliverock.com, miamireef.com they have good products/prices

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15456780#post15456780 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 100%hydrophylic
capn to the rescue again lol. the only thing thats worrying me right now is that it doesnt look like theres particles in the water. it just looks like its dyed. on my other aquariums you can all see little things floating in the water when i add sand/substrate. the best i can explane it is watered down soy milk. is that normal? sorry about all the questions >.< im not the most patient person.... might be my downfall one day. im working on it though! i put my hands in my pockets every time i walk past any of my aquariums so i dont fiddle with things. it works half the time

It's simply starting to clear up---be patient. You might want to change out any filter media you have running because it is probably clogged up with sand and detrius.
If you want to help it along do a 30 per cent water change that will help the fiddle urge:D

ok thanks capn, good news! today i can see 4 inches into my tank instead of 3 lol. so i guess it is slowly clearing... very slowly. yea capn iv been rinsing my pads at least 3 times a day. probably should change them. thanks for all your help!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15459590#post15459590 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 100%hydrophylic
ok thanks capn, good news! today i can see 4 inches into my tank instead of 3 lol. so i guess it is slowly clearing... very slowly. yea capn iv been rinsing my pads at least 3 times a day. probably should change them. thanks for all your help!

my bet still is total clarity in 48 hours;)

but I hate to tell you that you are going to have to go through it again but on a lesser scale when you take a turkey baster and baste all that crap off the reef rock and power heads:D

yea... there's no rock in it yet. i actually wanted to see where im putting the rock before i put it in >.<. i can see build up of powdery stuff on my power heads though. should i take them out and run them under tap water instead of turkey basting them?

Back