Oh my god murky water.

100%hydrophylic

Hello! i gots a problem! :(

soo i put a lot of live sand in my tank that said DO NOT rinse on the bag, so i didnt rinse. i have done this before on my 12g nano reef but on my 75g im setting up now my water is extremely murky. like i cant even tell where the sand bed ends. the water is the same color as the sand and i cant see 3 inches into the aquarium. its been like that for 4 days now...... what should i do to fix this......? :(

The filter pad will. You'll have to rinse it off every now and then but it will help remove some of that "dust." Carbon would just be a waste right now. It will clog up just as fast as the filter pad. Maybe wait until the tank clears up and you've added some livestock before you start running that.

I'm not sure how long this will take, but as soon as that filter pad looks dirty, rinse it off. This should really help. Be patient, it will go away.

ok, well ive seen water clarifying liquids on like dr fosters and smith. i shouldnt buy those should i? maybe as a last ditch effort or something?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15451719#post15451719 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 100%hydrophylic
i have a maxijet 1200 and a maxijet 900. that work for now?

Its not working now is it;)

In a 75 gal the preferred range of flow is 1500-3000 gph. Two koralia 4's would give you 2400 gph
Right now you have about 400 gph in comparison.
I mention the Koralias because they are not a bad price for the gph you get out of them.
Flow is very important in your tank for filtration and gas exchange.

capn, ive looked at all my pumps and filters and returns and at the flow rates they ar all rated for i have 2200gph. im gonna bump 200 off that just because they probably arent exact. so 2000gph in a 75g pretty good? its like a 26 times turn over rate an hour. and ok i wont use chemicals.... oh and i have a Koralia im gonna put in but i didnt want to blow everything around too much causing more sandstorm

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15451763#post15451763 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 100%hydrophylic
ok, well ive seen water clarifying liquids on like dr fosters and smith. i shouldnt buy those should i? maybe as a last ditch effort or something?

stay away from additives. On here we alway try to measure first before we dose and if it can't get measured then we don't dose with it.

all you need right now is regular water changes with a quality salt mix and ro/di water. Some of those additives can do more harm then good.

if you check on here before purchasing or buying something a fellow hobbyist will give you the real scoop because they do not have commercial interests in mind

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15451791#post15451791 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 100%hydrophylic
capn, ive looked at all my pumps and filters and returns and at the flow rates they ar all rated for i have 2200gph. im gonna bump 200 off that just because they probably arent exact. so 2000gph in a 75g pretty good? its like a 26 times turn over rate an hour. and ok i wont use chemicals.... oh and i have a coralia im gonna put in but i didnt want to blow everything around too much causing more sandstorm

can you give a breakdown on how you are arriving at 2200gph.
Admitadely I was posting to the the two maxis you had in there.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15451807#post15451807 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 100%hydrophylic
oh yea im using RO/DI water so i know thats not the problem and when i mixed my salt it was chrystal clear.

its only sand and some detrius that is causing the problem --no need to panic and ad something expensive and ineffective to your tank.:D

save your money for good quality live rock:cool:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15451826#post15451826 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 100%hydrophylic
yea ok....
maxijet 1200 -295 gph
maxijet 900 -230 gph
emperor 400 -400gph
koralia 1 - 400 gph
ViaAqua 3600 -1057gph

I believe the viaqua 3600 is your return pump. Assuming you have a one inch drain pipe and return the most you can expect is about 600-700 gph with it.

At any rate right now I would suggest that you run them all right now and that should help clear up your sand storm quickly.
maxijet 1200 -295 gph
maxijet 900 -230 gph
emperor 400 -400gph
koralia 1 - 400 gph
ViaAqua 3600 -600gph
realistically ~ 1900 which is adequate flow for your 75 gal at this point in time.

oh yea, sorry i forgot about the back pressure and all that stuff about the sump water flow. in the future would you suggest i get another koralia or something? im probably gonna keep mostly softies maybe some lps. possibly sps when i get a stronger light. so i should just wait this problem out?

Back