Oh pond liner, let me count the ways I love thee

Spaced Cowboy

South Bay Reefer
So yesterday, I was pottering about in the fish room, and I started to change the neoprene tubing on the peristaltic pumps that handle my water-change, the black tubing in...

Y62yfxlh.jpg

I do it once per year, to [hah!] stop leaks from forming. Anyway, through the glass, I hear my wife calling my name and it sounds urgent, so I go to see what's up. Came back 30 mins later, and forgot that I'd only reconnected the input to the pump, not the output, so it was just an open circuit drawing from 400G of NSW on the other side of the house...

I just went back there today - wasn't really planning on it, but thought I'd give the nem and corals a bit of a snack, and ... Oh! The floor was about a half-inch deep in water...

When I was planning the fish-tank, and given that I'd managed to leak saltwater onto the nice hardwood floors in the past to the extent that they weren't really nice any more, I'd specced out pond liner to go all over the floor of the new fish room (which was really just a walled-off part of the old living-room)...

YESln5jh.jpg

... up to the height of about 6", and I'd put a drain in the corner of the room. The drain has a bit of a lip on it, which is why I only had a half-inch of water on the floor, I'm guessing.

I change a fair amount of water (it's automated) - a gallon every 2 hours, so I'd have had about 10-12g of water pumped out over the floor ...

So all I had to do was mop it up, and thank my lucky stars that I put in that pond liner - otherwise it'd be seeping under the studded-wall to the rest of the living room and ... well that doesn't bear thinking about :)

So, what's the piece of equipment, or other feature, of your setup that you're *so* glad exists that way ? :)

Oh pond liner, let me count the ways I love thee

Pond liner is a great idea for a fish room. I built a drain under my sump in case it ever overflows and will line it.

On another note, which peristaltic pumps are those? And what controller/system are you using for the AWC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The pumps are Simply Pumps PM600's. They can pump a gallon of water up a head of 8' in 40 seconds. They're monsters. The company is also really nice to deal with, and when they sent me the wrong PSU for the first one, they overnighted another no questions asked as a replacement.

They're also pretty loud :) They're the only part of the fish room I can hear through the wall if standing next to the tank, and if you're in the same room, they're *very* loud.

TBH though we sort of got used to that. It's only 40 seconds long, and if you *don't* hear it at some time through the day, it's a good sign that something needs to be looked at.

The AWC is from a (sadly demised) company called Genesis Reef Systems, and it's awesome. I had no end of problems with salt-creep using LiterMeter before this, but not once has anything gone systematically wrong with the Storm (top off) or Renew (water change). They even talk to each other, so it doesn't try to do a top-off during a water-change, for example.

Since I couldn’t put a drain in my fish room I figured the next best thing was to build a tray that my sump sits in. The tray has about a 1” lip all around it to keep minor spills contained. Inside of the tray I also have a leak sensor to let me know if there is a spill. It’s saved me a few times for similar reasons as you.

Yes, a leak sensor to plug into the Apex is now on the wish-lust.

Hah! That's a typo (thanks ottercorrect) but I think I'll leave it...

Still sorting out my lighting right now so it'll have to wait a month or two.

We actually HAVE a 5000 gallon pond (and a 300 gallon smaller one) intentionally, but we still find additional uses even for the trim pieces. That weed that WILL not stop growing, the pavers that keep getting weeds between, and many more...

Yeah, we have a koi pond too - with a "stream" that feeds it, running around the deck, so we had to buy the largest pool liner they sell. That piece in the photo above *is* an off-cut - where the deck went...

Where do you think I got the idea ? [grin] :)

The pumps are Simply Pumps PM600's. They can pump a gallon of water up a head of 8' in 40 seconds. They're monsters. The company is also really nice to deal with, and when they sent me the wrong PSU for the first one, they overnighted another no questions asked as a replacement.

They're also pretty loud :) They're the only part of the fish room I can hear through the wall if standing next to the tank, and if you're in the same room, they're *very* loud.

TBH though we sort of got used to that. It's only 40 seconds long, and if you *don't* hear it at some time through the day, it's a good sign that something needs to be looked at.

The AWC is from a (sadly demised) company called Genesis Reef Systems, and it's awesome. I had no end of problems with salt-creep using LiterMeter before this, but not once has anything gone systematically wrong with the Storm (top off) or Renew (water change). They even talk to each other, so it doesn't try to do a top-off during a water-change, for example.

Awesome! Thanks for the advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe that building a tank with a pond liner (check here what I mean https://www.backyardstyle.com/best-pond-liner/ ) would work fine, but, if you plan on installing a glass or acrylic window to view the tank, i think there would be many problems. I do not think that you would be able to easily bond/glaze the window in place; I think that a pond liner would have too much flex and it may be difficult to get a completely flat surface so one would have difficulty getting a proper seal with silicone. Its a cheap way to go as long as you were able to securely glaze in a window.

I believe that building a tank with a pond liner (check here what I mean https://www.backyardstyle.com/best-pond-liner/ ) would work fine, but, if you plan on installing a glass or acrylic window to view the tank, i think there would be many problems. I do not think that you would be able to easily bond/glaze the window in place; I think that a pond liner would have too much flex and it may be difficult to get a completely flat surface so one would have difficulty getting a proper seal with silicone. Its a cheap way to go as long as you were able to securely glaze in a window.

To be fair, I wasn't suggesting making a *tank* out of pond-liner, I have a glass tank from Miracles. The pond-liner is a catch-all for water getting on the floor, to protect the nice hardwood flooring underneath.

I got a nice surprise when I opened the cabinet for the new tank when we moved.
The entire bottom & up the sides & ends to the door openings are lined with PVC.
Saved my butt a few times already!

Back