Oil based stains and reefs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mushroom Boy

Premium Member
Can oil based stains be safely used on a canopy over a reef? Is there something that can seal it properly to avoid anything leaching back into the system? Yes, I already used the oil based stain - by accident :(. Please tell me there's a way that I don't have to start over. Thanks!

Any good quality polyurethane finish or marine grade varnish will seal the stain and the wood, and protect the finish. Let it dry thouroughly, though, until no fumes are present. HTH,
KA

Don't despair, just seal it with a good varnish. In fact, I think once the stain has cured totally it wouldn't cause a problem by itself, but for protection purposes a couple of coats of varnish is a good idea. I use oil based stains all the time, don't like the latex variety.

------------------
Larry M

See my tanks at Northern Reef

Thanks folks. That's a big relief! :) :)

This may be slightly tangential, but are there any concerns when considering a paint for the inside of the canopy. Will Krylon white spray paint do? Thanks again!!

Paul.

Dont use spray paint because it will take a s--t load of cans to cover wood because it will adsorb it to quickly I used sherwin willams marine paint which is an enamel, I brushed it on which works much better than spray. You should always put a protective coat over just stained wood not because of leaching but because if you dont it will eventually adsorb moisture and warp or just turn into a salt trap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back