Ok, this is probably a really stupid question but her it goes

Jerdel

Is it ok to get my sand and rock set up in my tank and let it sit with no water for a few months? Neither of it is live. Im just unsure if dust settling in there for that ammount of time would be bad in anyway. Im saying its ok but I would just like to be completely sure and have my mind put to rest. Thanks :wildone: :bdaysmile:

First off, I'm new to this hobby (just a few weeks). But I wouldn't see why it would be a problem. You still have to go through a cycle process when you set your tank up anyways... But maybe I'm worng, I'm sure we will find out :)

Can I ask what your reason is for doing this?

*The only stupid question is the one not asked! ;)

Last edited:
If its just gonna sit there, you could get a plastic tub with some slatwater, heater, and powers and some cheap light to get the rock and sand cycled to help when you set up the tank. Just an idea

You should mix up your saltwater in their and start your cycle . After you put your rock and sand in..add a shrimp from the market...

First off, I'm new to this hobby (just a few weeks). But I wouldn't see why it would be a problem. You still have to go through a cycle process when you set your tank up anyways... But maybe I'm worng, I'm sure we will find out :)

Can I ask what your reason is for doing this?

*The only stupid question is the one not asked! ;)

Buying it piece by piece slowly to keep the wife aggro down a bit. I have the stand, aquarium, sump, sand and would just like to start rockscaping while I aquire the rest of the peices. Plus my clownfish are eyeing the bigger tank, I think they want to move in sooner than I wanted them too.

You must add some live sand and rock from someones tank or buy some livesand a few pieces of liverock and add a dead shrimp to start the cycle.

Back