Old Fiji Live Rock ?

j.falk

Would there be any possibility of reviving old live rock without introducing new / fresh live rock to seed it?

Say I had a tank set up with some premium Fiji live rock that was full of organisms and then I took the rock out and let it dry out completely without cleaning it. If I were to put that rock back into water...would some of the original organisms (various algaes) start to regrow over time or is everything completely dead and I would have to cure the rock and reseed before anything would start growing again?

I'm almost tempted to just try it as an experiment...but if there's no hope of anything growing at all I don't want to waste the time and money on it.

Last edited:
The waste would be to not use it. However you will have to seed it or completely start fresh. Ive always reused with no issues.

The waste would be to not use it. However you will have to seed it or completely start fresh. Ive always reused with no issues.

So the algae / organisms that died off on it can't be regrown? I was hoping the rock might still contain spores / dormant algae that would start regrowing once the conditions were right for it.

Back