Old Radion power supply conversion build thread

I recently purchased a used radion gen 3 pro to add more even spread in my tank and also to see if I can do this conversion. Looking online I found that ecotech marine did make a conversion adapter for theses lights with the new power supply but you could only get it if you had purchased a the power supply through them for $157. After calling and speaking with them they said they don't have any power supplies in stock nor do they know when they will be back in stock. My guess never, it seems that the company has shifted form being by hobbyist for hobbyist to a business for hobbyist, the last few times I have called the company they were unhelpful and automatically wanted my to send them my equipment for them to inspect for and repair rather them sending my information on how I would solve the problem using EcoSmart. After some time they did end up sending me the instructions.
Getting back the the conversion, even if they had them I am not willing to spend $157 on a 20 power supply. So I got to thinking, first option was to purchase a radion extension cable, still way too expensive if you ask me, cut the female side and solder the wires in side the radion. That seems like the easiest but I don't like to take the easy route and the extension cable is only 6' long making it shorter so I decided to preserve the original cable length by keeping the original cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the original style for the power supply, it takes up a lot of room in the stand and dose not match the other power supplies
7af2920ffb717a22a264ed5af49fc846.jpg

17df4f0f835ecc0224659bd134f0ce64.jpg

I cut the wire the was used to the battery back up, I don't think light are our main priority if there is a power outage and the the new lights don't have the feature.

5bd294f1fe433cfc8dc906b4dfb8be50.jpg

The plan is to make housing, I had my friend my the it in blender but for some reason going to blender to a 3D print .stl file there were some resizing issues for we had to keep adjusting to holes for everything to fit properly. The lid is going to be a basic slide lid, I printed one out but cannot find what happened to it.

1da3a5f338d24c4e691d486a59000a0c.jpg

The latest test print came out with perfect fitment but I don't like the quality of the print so I am currently print out a new housing and lid. I added hole in the daze just in case I want to drew it in the the stand. The barrel connector that I got is rafted to 30v and 5A. The new and old power supply is rated at 36v 4.2 amps. I'm that if I replace the cables that the barrel connector came with thicker gauge wire it should be able to handle the extra 6v.

Back