Old School CO2 Regulator

griss

RC Mod
Staff member
RC Mod
Anyone know where one could purchase and old school CO2 regulator with needle valve without a solenoid? Back in the day I ran some successful CA reactors without all the automation and would like to do something similar in my upcoming build.

Oh gotcha. Most of the aquarium ones I found have the solenoid already, though I was reading something about how they’re removable? But absolutely no experience with that

Oh gotcha. Most of the aquarium ones I found have the solenoid already, though I was reading something about how they’re removable? But absolutely no experience with that
Yeah, I don’t know either. Plus, I’m cheap. Do t want to pay for the solenoid if I don’t want to use it😂

Anyone know where one could purchase and old school CO2 regulator with needle valve without a solenoid? Back in the day I ran some successful CA reactors without all the automation and would like to do something similar in my upcoming build.
You will probably need to get a beer regulator, some step down hose barbs, hose and an in-line needle valve.

Can't guarantee the precision is good but another example:

Last edited:
I have one but I use it for my airbrush and I used to use it to run my tank from my SCUBA tank in a blackout. I will look to see if I have another one. If I do, you can have it. But I doubt I could find the thing.

$460😳. That’s a way bit out of my price range.
Point sort of was to ask him about a new assembly to your specs.
All depends on what parts he has laying around. The listed ones use some of the top notch components..

A decent needle valve and single stage regulator will set you back $100 and you'll
1) Need to assemble it yourself.
2) Still need more parts.

@bettatail also sells custom regs. Not sure he is active here anymore but you could check the Planted tank forums.

Either one " should" be able to set you up fir like $250 with used 2 stage, no solenoid and none of the extra parts to put it in.
Your hose size would help.

You can do what you want ( single stage, smc as1000 valve hose barbs) for like $100 but you need to put in sweat equity.

There are some without solenoids BUT they don't fit " normal " cga320 tank valves.

Last edited:
Exchanged some emails with Jason and Luke at PA. They have a Tunze dual stage without the solenoid for $130.

Exchanged some emails with Jason and Luke at PA. They have a Tunze dual stage without the solenoid for $130.

Dual stage or dual gauge?

If they don't say dual stage it usually isn't.

What’s the difference? Not being sarcastic, genuine question.
Dual gauge just has 2 gauges. Has nothing really to do with the regulator gas flow design.

Dual stage has 2 steps to drop the pressure .. say 950psi(CO2 tank pressure) to.300psi(intermediate drop) to working pressure (for CO2 in aquariums usually either 30+psi or like 10psi)..

Each type single stage or dual stage (there are 3 stage regs) can have 0,1,2,3 gauges.

The advantage of a 2 stage regulator is it maintains set pressure till tank is empty.
Most single stage regs as the pressure in the tank drops the pressure in the outlet increases and more CO2 flows.
What that means depends on a number of conditions.

Supply pressure effect, also referred to as inlet dependency, is defined as the change in outlet pressure due to a change in inlet, or supply, pressure. Under this phenomenon, inlet and outlet pressure changes are inversely proportional to each other. If the inlet pressure decreases, there will be a corresponding outlet pressure increase. Conversely, if the inlet pressure increases, the outlet pressure decreases.

A regulator’s supply pressure effect is typically provided by the manufacturer. SPE is usually depicted as a ratio or percentage describing the change in outlet pressure per change in inlet pressure. For example, if a regulator is described as having a 1:100 or 1% SPE, for every 100 psi drop in inlet pressure, the outlet pressure will increase by 1 psi. The degree of outlet pressure variation for a regulator can be estimated with the following formula:

∆P (outlet) = ∆P (inlet) x SPE

Single-Stage vs. Two-Stage Regulation​

For lower-flow applications, like analytical instrumentation systems, an alternative method of minimizing supply pressure effect is to use two-stage pressure reduction. This method involves installing two single-stage regulators in a series or combining the regulators into one assembly. Each regulator controls the inlet pressure variation to a certain degree but together, the two regulators keep the outlet pressure very close to the original set point.

Last edited:
Dual gauge just has 2 gauges. Has nothing really to do with the regulator gas flow design.

Dual stage has 2 steps to drop the pressure .. say 950psi(CO2 tank pressure) to.300psi(intermediate drop) to working pressure (for CO2 in aquariums usually either 30+psi or like 10psi)..

Each type single stage or dual stage (there are 3 stage regs) can have 0,1,2,3 gauges.

The advantage of a 2 stage regulator is it maintains set pressure till tank is empty.
Most single stage regs as the pressure in the tank drops the pressure in the outlet increases and more CO2 flows.
What that means depends on a number of conditions.

Ah, thanks. Now that you say that, I remember now from back when I was running a Ca reactor with co2.

Hmmm. Does a solenoid default to open or closed if not plugged in? When I ran a reactor back when, I just dialed it in by bubble count and effluent pH.

https://www.amazon.com/INKBIRDPLUS-Regulator-Gauges,Bubble-Valve,Carbon-Cylinder/dp/B09KRMXKSR

Back