Old tank as new tank

nikon70

Hi folks! Been a while since I've been on here (3 kids will do that to you).

But now looking at setting up my tank again, so here's a question for you.

I've got a tank with a sand bottom that was recently decommissioned about a week ago, with about 10L of water covering the sand still. No powerhead or heater, will this still be good to load up with more water, warm up add a filter from an existing tank and carry on with adding fish?

Or would the bacteria have died by now? Which means recycle all over again?

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is still tons of bacteria as there is still water covering the sand..
BUT.. There is probably also TONS of decomposing crap,etc.. from years that I wouldn't want to burden a new setup with..

I will NEVER recommend reusing sand without it being completely rinsed multiple times to be "clean" again..

Don't rush.. do it right.. If you can't wait for a cycle then don't even get started with another tank..

Why did you JUST take down the other tank? Seems a little odd too to give up and a week later want to start again?

Ok so good to go!

Long story, Didn't get rid of my tank just not been in a position to do anything fantastic with it, so it's been plodding along for the last few years. Now I've been able to upgrade to so hence why the other tank is now free.

I'm going to be keeping the spare in my garage (man cave) and just wanted to make sure that I didn't have to cycle it again as it's only been left for a week.

I will still check of course that the cycle is still working before bio loading it

Well an update on this, all was going well until i changed my internal filter for a hang on back, I used the foam and stuff from the internal filter and put them in the hob filter, first I got cloudy tank and now it just won't go clear again, still looks misty. I have foam, and filter fluff to take out fine particles but still looks not as clear as it did before. Nitrate 20ppm, nitrite 0ppm, ammonia 1ppm, ph 7.2, mix of RO and conditioned/ages tap. Any thoughts?

It sounds like you might have a bacterial bloom - if that's the case you can just ride it out.

Yeah thought as much, not had so much trouble with a tank before, I guess size really does matter! Haha

Plus no refugium this time has a massive affect, having to maintain eco system in a tiny little filter is actually quite difficult

Back