Omg $4,089 For A Skimmer!!

Are you also disturbed that there are multi million dollar cars? Are you distrubed that there are homes worth more than the GDP of a small country? Are you disturbed that there are places in this world where one night in a hotel room can feed a small community for a couple of weeks? Not trying to be a d!ck but whats your point? If you are distbured with this, then i suggested you never leave your town because you might be distrubed to death

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12241954#post12241954 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ricks
The governor of New York paid $31,000 for one night with a hooker. I guess it's all relative...

haha.. This just made my night! Very true though

People can spend their money any way they wan't and it's no ones business.Personally , I use an asm g4x and it does a great job. Afterall a skimmer is really just bubbles in a bottle.If some folks wan't to have a more expensive item because they wan't the most elite model it's ok by me and I'm sure someone will make it for them. But it won't necessarily be better because it costs more.It might be shinier out of the box but if it works it will soon be filled with the same smelly crap as other skimmers.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12241954#post12241954 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ricks
The governor of New York paid $31,000 for one night with a hooker. I guess it's all relative...

ya know.......one would think that a $31,000 hooker would come with a little discretion....

the hooker being worth...say $1000, and the other $30k for the guarantee of not getting caught and the event made public........

He got ripped off for sure

It is relative to the money you make but it shouldnt be. We have developed some gross distortions with greed and excess over the past twenty years. I remember when the idea of making a million dollars was a pie in the sky dream for most Americans. Today its a very common goal.

I am not knocking anyone or anything because the situation just is as it is. We are very fortunate but I think our views have become distorted by all the wants and waste. How many brands and types of bread are there on your local supermarket shelf? Walmart must have one hundred choices of bread. Why do we need all those to chose from? Can you imagine finding only two or three types of bread available in the store?. It would look like poverty to us. Thats just a small example of the way our views have become grossly distorted by our excess wealth.

Today, the poorest Americans amoungst us live better than the wealthiest Kings, Queens and Emperors did through out all of known history. Anyone can get a pastry or any imaginable service in anytown America at any time they chose. Most kings and Queens of the past would have given a portion of their kingdom away to have a reeftank in their palace. A bowl of icecream would have earned at least a small ranch. Those things just were not possible until very recently. Now we take it all for granted. WOW ... $8,000.00 for a skimmer and many dont even bat an eye at it. Thats a lot to take for granted.

good thread... To answer someones questions the $5995 car was a brand new 01 Hyundai Accent I bought in 01. It was a completely basic model with the only power steering, thats it, but for $5995 can't beat it. It lasted me over 92,000 miles.
Another question: "Whats your point?" The point is why would someone spend $8000 or $16000 (http://www.deltecusa.us/proteinskimmers/ap2602.php) on a skimmer when a $300-$600 would do just about the same thing.... o you want more bubbles, poor baby. WASTE OF MONEY

o yea, a Ferrari or Lambo can't be compared to an overpriced skimmer
Also, a million dollar house can't be compared to the shack that I live in either :)

Like hero star said what does a $8000 skimmer do that a $500 skimmer doesn't do?

Man of the Sea nailed my point.

You're paying for the name behind the product, the craftsmanship, and the performance.

Don't fool yourself into thinking otherwise.

It's the same exact reason I shop for clothes at Abercrombie, Guess, True Religion, etc instead of Walmart.

The point is why would someone spend $8000 or $16000 (http://www.deltecusa.us/proteinskimmers/ap2602.php) on a skimmer when a $300-$600 would do just about the same thing.... o you want more bubbles, poor baby. WASTE OF MONEY

Why would someone spend $3,000 setting up a 90 Gallon Reef when they could spend 1/2 that much on a smaller tank? Or 1/4 of that on a fresh water tank?

It's all relative whether you want to admit it or not.

Obviously your view of, "There being no difference between a $300 and a $8000 skimmer" is pretty skewed. Last I check Deltec and Bubble King are still in business, and doing pretty well.

The person that has $4K to throw at a skimmer probably isn't a person in the market for a $6K car so the comparison is weak in the first place. The scenario of "I can either get a car or a skimmer" is unlikely to ever surface. If it did, Reefers Anonymous should be the next stop.

And can anyone here honestly say that if they had the disposable income they wouldn't love to spend a million bucks on a tank? I know I would. Why wouldn't you want the absolute best in every aspect of your system? If I had the cash I would build an indoor pool reef for diving with my very own indoor sun.

Note to self: must own sun...

If you seriously think an $8000 - $16,000 skimmer will do the same thing as a $300-$600, then I guess it is a waste of money for you. But just know that you are wrong. Find me a $600 dollar skimmer that can handle 6600 gallons.

Bear in mind this thing was made in Germany, so for me it's not that pricey. You however have a currency worth much, much less than last year. 600 USD would not buy much of a skimmer at all in Europe - round about one and a half seaclones I make it.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12243653#post12243653 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wayne in norway
Bear in mind this thing was made in Germany, so for me it's not that pricey. You however have a currency worth much, much less than last year. 600 USD would not buy much of a skimmer at all in Europe - round about one and a half seaclones I make it.
That on its own is a pretty good point too. I've noticed a lot of the things I've bought for my tank in the last year (lights, pumps, etc) all cost about 10-25% more now than they did when I bought them.

Like someone else said, its all relative.

I install remote controls for TV's that cost more than that everyday. All they do is save you from walking 5 steps to the tv or useing ...OMG... 2 free remotes bwahaha..

I may never spen that much ona skimmer. I also never will spend that little on a car. keep in mind he who dies with the most/best toys wins.

This has nothing to do with skimmers, it does however deal with exchange rates. Last month I bought a new Heidelberg printing press. The first of April with the weak dollar the price increased 7%. I saved $87,500.00, buy purchasing in March.

We should also ponder our increasing debt, a serious drag on the economy.

I'll bet the government would pay $6,000.00, for a skimmer on a nano..

Happy Reefing

f you seriously think an $8000 - $16,000 skimmer will do the same thing as a $300-$600, then I guess it is a waste of money for you. But just know that you are wrong. Find me a $600 dollar skimmer that can handle 6600 gallons.

Agreed!

Joyce

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12243879#post12243879 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Arati
who dies with the most/best toys wins.

LOL :D I'm gonna have to remember that one!

I don't like to say it's all relative - but come on no one is spending 4K on a skimmer for a 120g softie tank, you are taking this out of context. When someone spends 4K on a skimmer, the rest of the tank, from volume, lighting, livestock etc... is usually proportionate to that cost. Your perspective is rather close minded and shallow.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12243605#post12243605 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LobsterOfJustice
If you seriously think an $8000 - $16,000 skimmer will do the same thing as a $300-$600, then I guess it is a waste of money for you. But just know that you are wrong. Find me a $600 dollar skimmer that can handle 6600 gallons.

I just want to quote this one more time to drive it home.

You need to realize the size of tank those skimmers are meant for. If you really think your $300 skimmer is going to work on a tank that size then I want your supplier of meds, cause they must be awesome :)

Back