On the fence . . .Vortech or Tunze?

On the fence . . .Vortech or Tunze?

• Total voters

mal7887

Ok I seriously can't make up my mind. I currently have two Tunze 6055s connected to the Apex VDM and it works pretty well. But last night on a whim I bought two used Vortech MP40's. (Hi, My name is Matthew and I have an impulse buying problem.) I personally don’t know anything about the Vortechs nor have I ever had any experience with them but I know they have a strong following. If I decided to keep the MP40's I would get the WXM module to interface with the Apex. At this point cost isn't a consideration because I already have both. :spin1: I have a 120 mix with softies, LPS and SPS.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Only the wet side of the MP40 is in the tank which is huge, IMO. I think you should be good with the two MP40's but I know some run with 3 on 120's. That will depend on how much rock you have in your tank with vortech, you have multiple setting including pulse mode, wave, which is awesome. I don't think you will regret going with the vortech's.

The only downside to Vortech is the noise. If your tank is in a room without much ambient noise, you'll hear the motor quite easily.

Everything else about them is great though.

The only downside to Vortech is the noise. If your tank is in a room without much ambient noise, you'll hear the motor quite easily.

Everything else about them is great though.

Noise and the ability to aim the flow at a specific spot are the two issues with Vortech, but I sure like their small in tank profile.

Looks like the majority prefers the VoreTechs. I put them in today and started playing with them. I don't think I'm sold yet though. I don't know if I can live with the noise they put off. The look of the tunzes in the water doesn't bother me, actually I my prefer that look since it is more of a traditional look. I don't like the look of a bulky cord running up both sides of the aquarium with the VoreTechs.

I don't know if I can live with the noise they put off.
if they're too loud...maybe you do not have them properly aligned...maybe there is a problem (how old are they?)...maybe you're running them at full speed (they will be a lot quieter at about 75%...and last longer)

if they're too loud...maybe you do not have them properly aligned...maybe there is a problem (how old are they?)...maybe you're running them at full speed (they will be a lot quieter at about 75%...and last longer)

Motor noise is present on Vortechs even with proper alignment. Never understood the point in getting pumps only to run them at reduced speed :)

Tunze will always get my vote for mostly noise free operation and a bit more relaibility. Tunze 6105s at 100% cannot be heard anywhere around my tank, even with all other equipment off. Vortechs...the 3 times I have tried them over the years could very easily be heard in adjacent rooms. Tunze has 2 years warranty, Vortech one, but both have top of the line service.

Looks like the majority prefers the VoreTechs. I put them in today and started playing with them. I don't think I'm sold yet though. I don't know if I can live with the noise they put off. The look of the tunzes in the water doesn't bother me, actually I my prefer that look since it is more of a traditional look. I don't like the look of a bulky cord running up both sides of the aquarium with the VoreTechs.

The Vortechs do quiet down some over the course of a week, assuming it is the motor noise you are hearing. It has an almost VCR rewinding sound to them, the motors that is.

I agree with the cords up the side of the tank....I'll take a couple inches of crods in the back corners of my tank to cords running up 2 viewing panels.

Never understood the point in getting pumps only to run them at reduced speed
so you think that EVERY tank needs pumps at full speed, 24/7?...what about people that 'dial back' their return pumps...

do you understand, now? :rolleye1:

so you think that EVERY tank needs pumps at full speed, 24/7?...what about people that 'dial back' their return pumps...

do you understand, now? :rolleye1:

I have two mp40s on a 180 and only run them at about 75% because my mushrooms don't like them at100%.

And I agree they are almost silent at that rate. I also agree that being able to adjust the flow rate is very good thing.

Vortechs all the way. Check your alignment. If they are used, they probably sold them instead of having them serviced. I can't hear any(3) of mine over the overflow/equipment on two tanks all in the same room. I've ran 2 @ 30% for 2 1/2 yrs w/o any issues. The other one is new.

I have both, big thing I see is that the vortechs give me trouble with is getting the flow aimed properly. Can't put the vortechs too low or they'll blow the sand away and can't put them to high or they'll pull air in. I'm leaning towards tunze now....

lots of vortech fanboys on here. None of them ever mention the huge ugly thing they have in the middle of a viewing pane, unless they have their vortechs on the back wall of the tank.

The new broader-flow tunze's should make the decision even easier. I've gone through two MP10's when I had smaller tanks and also an MP20 and I always sold them and got tunzes instead.

I have screens on my tank to prevent the fish from jumping out, and a cord would make putting the screen on the tank much more of a hassle for me. Just my .02

I go with neither. I use koralia evolutions 1400s and they work just fine. I bought the smartwave from koralia and have it set on alternate. I also have screens on my tank and I just run the cords towards the side and squish them down :) I just don't see the need for the overpriced water pumps.

1 mp60 on the right panel glass(not really viewable) works out well for me. I run it at about 50% and occasionally ramp it up to 100%. If I had to keep one on my left glass, I would not want a vortech.

I'm still a little leery seeing that chart posted about how Tunze pumps majorly under-perform stated output numbers.

I have a mp40 on my 120 mixed reef and I like it now I am going to get another one for the other side of my tank. I have mine in pulse mode at 75% I ca barely hear it.

I go with neither. I use koralia evolutions 1400s and they work just fine. I bought the smartwave from koralia and have it set on alternate. I also have screens on my tank and I just run the cords towards the side and squish them down :) I just don't see the need for the overpriced water pumps.

+1!

I was at a reef club meeting about a month ago and the guy had a 180 running with some MJs with the mod kit. There was plenty of flow, and they aren't expensive pumps even with the mods.

I can't hear any(3) of mine over the overflow/equipment on two tanks all in the same room.

...and if you turned off the overflow and equipment? You would hear them ;).

Not all of us have gurgling, humming, buzzing tanks sitting in our living rooms. The first thing other hobbyists comment on my tank is how silent it is.

Vortech motors make noise, even EcoTech will say that it is expected from having a motor exposed as opposed to submersed.

Back