One Long t5 or two short t5.. That is the question

wnehez

I have a 75g tank with a divided top. Each hald I would think is 24". I asked previously if I should get one long 48" t5 or two 24"t5 and someone told me to get the long one because splitting it into two will cause a dark spot. Isnt this dar spot kind of inevitable since I have the divided top? What would you guys do? I can save money getting the one long but I feel that two short would be better looking and maybe provide more light. Some advice please...

I have a 120 gallon 48x24x24 with a 48" t5 fixture and would definitely do one fixture , I don't have any dark spots, save yourself the headache of two fixtures.

Don't go with 2 - 24" bulbs. You will need 12 bulbs that way to light your tank. 12*$25=$300! It will cost you that in bulb replacements each year.

T5's are not like MH or any other "point-source" lighting. Chances are you won't even see where your center brace is. t Fluorescent lighting bounces all over the place in a tank. The center brace won't cause much of a shadow, if any at all.

Go with one long or a 48" light. I have a 90 gallon which is 48" also and you cannot see where the center brace is with the light on. I believe you will get more light (Par) from a 48" bulb opposed to two 24" bulbs, someone correct me if I am wrong.

thanks! My buddy is actually hooking me up with a pretty good deal(I think) He is selling me his old lighting system which consists of 2 250W halides with 2 110W VHO for $75. He said that will be more than enough for corals and other things. I am going to run the actnic blue in the VHO. Good deal?

Back