Operculum recession on tang

alexgr

Hello, I have a yellow tang in my quarantine tank, I have had him since 2016 in my main display. The fish has operculum recession and I do t know what to do, I have dosed paraguard because I thought it was gill flukes but nothing happened, can anyone help me ?
E7697394-433F-4800-A45B-97FDD2202905.jpeg

Has the fish been exposed to ammonia or some other toxin which has damaged the gills?

The first thing I would do is give this fish a 30 minute methylene blue bath: Methylene Blue

It might also be worthwhile to place him in a sterile QT with methylene blue at 1/2 dosage (1 ml per 2 gallons of water)

Has the fish been exposed to ammonia or some other toxin which has damaged the gills?

The first thing I would do is give this fish a 30 minute methylene blue bath: Methylene Blue

It might also be worthwhile to place him in a sterile QT with methylene blue at 1/2 dosage (1 ml per 2 gallons of water)
The fish has not been exposed to ammonia or some other toxin as it used to be in the display with 8 more tangs that don’t show the same symptoms

I will order the Methylene and do the bath as soon as possible

Can you see the gills protruding in the photo ? Do you believe it’s swollen gills or is there a chance it is some kind of parasite ?

Gill Hyperplasia is usually caused by ammonia or nitrite or cholorine/choloramine, and once the gills are swollen or get damaged they form a stringy mucus and while the gill tissue heals it forms new layers of tissue which cause the displacement which is what you are seeing. I am not sure of the remidy or treatment except for once this happens it harder for fish to process oxygen out of water and or open wounds or tissue will cause secondary bacterial infections. Like stated above i would get it in methylene blue so o2 is carried to deep internal parts of the body and is easier for fish to breath and along with that i would use antibiotics to reduce the chance of bacterial infection.

Note: check for chlorine/chloramine in you rodi water.

@HumbleFish @Dr. Reef
How can I check for chlorine/chloramine in my rodi water ?

I was not able to find methylene blue but I found methylen blue is it the same ?

I will give a 30 min bath today using the dose it says on the bottle, 5ml per 50 liters

Attachments

• 58FDE2EC-592C-4C54-963B-4875B3B1D80C.jpeg
    58FDE2EC-592C-4C54-963B-4875B3B1D80C.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
Back