opinions on acclimating corals to light upgrade

tommy tomato

Currently I'm running 4 54w t5 with 48 3w supplemental leds. Just like in my Sig. After visiting eddies house a couple times I decided I wanted to swap out my t5s for Mh radiums, you just can't beat that look and growth. I'm putting in 2 250 radiums and keeping my leds. I run my lights for a total of 13 hours including 1 hour of sunrise and sunset, respectively.
My tank is a 110 gallon mixed reef and moving towards sps dominant.

I plan on keeping the same 13 hour schedule, but only running the radiums for 4 hours to start with for the first week, and then bumping them up 1 hour per week until I reach 8 hours. I programmed my controller to turn off half of the leds (12 cool white and 12 royal blues) when the halides are on, and all on (12cw/36rb) when the halides are off.

So my lighting schedule will look like this:

10am 24 royal blues on
11am 12rb on 12 cool white on
1pm radiums on/12rb,12 cw off
5pm radiums off/ 12rb, 12cw on
10pm 12rb,12cw off
11pm 24rb off

Then like I said the radiums will be ramped up 1 hour more per week. And the 12rb and 12cw an hour less.

Anything different you would do? I'm trying to make the transition as smooth as possible and not bleach any corals in the process..

Basically I'm trying to achieve the best of both worlds with looks,growth, and stability

P.s. I have no idea where that mad face in the title came from lol

Last edited:
Sounds like you got it right! What reflectors did you get? You might want to run the Mh for 3hr for day one. Also your running them at peak heat time in the afternoon, you may want to run some in the early evening to avoid temp from rising. Assuming no chiller?

Thanks marke! I just got the coralvue parabolic reflectors, they are the narrowest and I'm limited in space as my tank is narrow. Youre probably right about peak noon, but I figured as I ramp up I will be running them during those hours anyway. No chiller but my ac stays pegged at 69 ,we're polar bears. I'll follw your advice and run 3 hours the first day.

Nino- Your on the right track for sure. Ive never had issues with light upgrades but respect others that have.

I would leave the blue led's on the whole photoperiod time, it will complement the radiums while they are on and it will also help the transition easier to the eyes

I would leave the blue led's on the whole photoperiod time, it will complement the radiums while they are on and it will also help the transition easier to the eyes

Hi rogger, I originally planned on only running 24 blues with the radiums but they were washed out. I have all 36 blues running now.... But youre right about the transition on the eyes it looks great but still very white. I am running magnetic hqi ballasts and kind of wishing I went electronic for a more blue look. But on the other hand I'm going to get the most par and life out of my bulbs with the m80 ballasts..

Back