Opinions on algae turf scrubbers

kenc87

For some reason algae turf scrubbers just intrigue me, not to the extent where I would remove my skimmer but more as a supplement. Do they actually work is it a waste of time? I'd be running it on a 65 reef with 20 long sump with a heavy Bioload and avast marine cs1 recirc skimmer.

Check out the scrubber posts in the advanced topics section there is a lot of great info in there.

They where developed by Dr. Walter Adey from the museum of natural history back in the 70's. It is a simple concept that works extremely well. A couple of my friends tanks run horizontal style scrubbers with and without skimmers.

I am going to make one for my 10g nano here shortly.

Happy Reefing!:thumbsup:

Seem very effective. I too think they are cool, but my nitrates are consistently < 2.0 and I have no algae issues. For high nitrates and/or major algae issues, I have had many friends swear by their ATS.

I've read some of the sticky about them but don't have time for 3000+ posts. I just want to hear some personal experiences. I am thinking I may try and build one and just see how it does along with my skimmer

Well I would say I have an oversized skimmer since I have a 65 reef with a 20 long sump and a cs1 skimmer from avast marine. As far as a uv sterilizer, I just don't think they really do too much for the cost.

Back