Opinions on new Reef

Cseque

Hi everyone

I´m planning my upgrade tank and I really want to nail it haha. So Im planing on doing a 120 display tank + sump (not shure yet of dimensions of it) I did a little drawing using sketchup to give a sense of what im trying to do..

As far as equimpment goes, Im planning on

3 XR15 G5 Blue
2 Icecap Gyre 4k (one on each side)
Skimz Quiet pro 6.0 (1585GPH)
Red Sea RSK300 skimmer

What do you think i should add, modify, delete of this..

The other picture is, well my Biocube and thats the sport where the new build will go.

All Input will be appreciated

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 18.21.19.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 18.21.19.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 0
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-05-12 at 7.58.30 PM.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-05-12 at 7.58.30 PM.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 0
Thats a cool design, I like it.

Personally I would never pay that much for lights. Unless you really want all the bells and whistles of xr15, I would look into Reefbreeders Photon V2+ or Noopsyche K7 Pro II units

For V2+ you would need 1 unit, as it spans whole length of tank (for standard 120G tank, 4x2x2) . 1 of those would be cheaper than 3 XR15s and you would get better coverage and spread.

For NP you would need 3 as well (for standard 120G tank, 4x2x2), but they are much cheaper again.

Of course both of these 2 dont come with every single feature that XR15 has, but these features will not grow your coral any better at all.

If you save on lights, you can upgrade your gyres to Maxspect, which have better programming options than icecap. You can also use 1 controller to control both (with icecap I think each pump has to have its own controller)

Return pump, look into Jebao DCP pumps. Same as Skimz really but cheaper. I dont think they will last any less than skimz really.

Skimmer wise, I am not a fan of skimmers that force you to use certain pump. If that pump breaks and it is older model, you need to replace whole skimmer because you wont be able to find replacement pump. Look at skimmer like Lifereef VS3-24 for example. Bulletproof design, that hasnt changed for ages (because it doesnt have to) and works better than a lot of these new fancy skimmers. You can also use any pump you want with it, which is great.

Last edited:
Back