opinions on pygmy angels and polyp corals especially zoanthids

lmh11706

love the beauty and activity of pygmy angels of all types, but i also love colored zoanthids-in my last set up-i woke up every day to a few polyps missing each time-and i am very weary about getting another -like a coral beauty or flame angel-i know they can nip-but do you think they eat the polyps-or was it my juvenile koran angel that was the culprit-which i am avoiding this time-let me know if im safe with the pygmies

I have a cherub angel in my 60g - it is all softies and zoas - no problems at all with the corals - he is, however, the king of the tank!

+1 with the cherub angel. Along with the coral beauty, it's generally considered the most reef safe dwarf angel. I had one in a 75 gallon and it never touched a coral, but it was an absolute tyrant. I've never seen so much meanness packed into such a little body.

i hv a fllame angle in a reef dominated by sps along with zoas and xenia. no problem there. i also hv a coral beauty in a softy tank and no issue there either.

I have both a Cherub and a Coral Beauty. Neither bothers anything from zoas to sps. Pygmy Angels are however, a case by case bases and you never know which one you're going to get!

Had a coral beauty for 3 years...never bothered anything...one fine day it ripped apart my crocea and my cherry red trachyphylia...I still kept it and it didnt bother anything else.

Genicanthus is a good angel species to keep in a reef

I would say you are going to be pretty ok with the smaller angels when it comes to polyps.You may end up with a terror but thats the risk you take with angels.However large angels in my experience see zoas as candy and will eat them each time they swim bye just to see the look on your face as you watch your (insert name here) le zoas disappear:).I would highly suspect your koran before the smaller angels-Kieth

I have a rusty angel fish and he has only messed with my open brain coral which it tried to devour :( but i took out the open and replaced with a closed brain and no issues at all :) i love my rusty angelfish!

I have a coral beauty, along with some zoas, palys, clam, acros, and GSP. He seems to like one particular spot on my GSP rock, and mows that one spot down. Funny thing is, even my hipo tang attacks that spot. Must be something in there that is particularly tasty. Otherwise, no issues.

I, too, love angels. Fire angels and the bigger ones I know are a no-no. Maybe I'll look into a cherub since some here seem to have a good experience.

I had a cherub for a little over a year with no issues. He was in a fully mixed reef and only picked on the pod population. He never bothered my clam or corals and he never picked on my other fish. He was in a 33g cube and I don't think I'd keep one in a smaller tank. They're just too active to cram into a tank w/o much swimming room.

Back